Newb OC Qs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmedic12

Baseband Member
Well this is my first attempt @ OCing. For the most part it was very easy based on the info posted in this forum, thank-you all that contributed.

I've had my system for about three years now (see sig), and I just now got onboard with OCing. Right now I'm OCed at 2.65mhz@26C with no voltage change, stock cooling, everything is stable. I know this is a small step, but I noticed a rise in temps from stock speeds which was at 18c idle, 35c under load in games like COD2. So I've stopped there until my Zalman CNPS9500 and AS5 arrive in a few days.

Sorry for the long intro, but I wanted to give a little history on what I've done. My question(s) are as follows in regard to OC my ram.

I'm using MBM5 and PC Wizard06 to get my info. In my bios I've increased my clock so I assume that raises my ram freq also. PC wiz. is showing a freq of 440. But when I look at my bios under Adv chipset I have an option of "Dram Timing Selectable" which is set to "By SPD" or can swich to manual. I notice my Cas Lat is at 3 with options for 2.5 and 2.

Do I want to change my CAS Lat to 2.5 or 2? From my understanding of it, that will OC the ram also?

The other timings also have options:

Act to P/C Del is at 8 options for 7,6,5.
Dram RAS to CAS is at 3, options for 2 or 4.
Dram RAS P/C is at 3, options for 2 or 4.

I've read somewhere that sometimes SPD reads the memory wrong, I know my Corsair ram is rated/tested at 2-3-3-6. Should I manually change this in the bios?

Also I'm not sure if this related, but I see there is an overvoltage tab in the bios for Dimm volt control. It's set at 2.6v with the option to raise to 2.7v.

Do I need to do anything there?

Sorry if these are some basic questions but after reading the forums for a few days, I needed some direct answers to some of my direct questions. Thanks Tim.

I just tried changing my timings in the bios to 2-3-3-6 and I had to clear my cmos and set them back to 3-3-3-8. Not sure what happened. I didn't raise the Dimm voltage from 2.6 to 2.7. Any thoughts?

I'm able to get 2.5-3-3-6 timings with the dimm voltage at 2.7v. Things seem to be stable. If I try CAS lat at 2 it doesn't boot. I hope I'm heading in the right direction. I'm under the impression that the lower the timings the better the performance.

Lower timings = better performance... slightly. It's not as big of a difference as you think. Set them back to 3 until you're done overclocking, and then see if you can tighten the timings at all.

Ryan

So the switch I made to 2.5-3-3-6 is that much of difference from 3-3-3-8? So should I keep trying with the clock rate until I get as high of an OC as possible? Then try lowering the timings?

When I overclock, I loosen the timings to 3 to see how high I can take the ram. More mhz are going to help more than responding faster by half of a clock cycle.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom