New Yonah OC results - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,782
Default

depends, are you refering to dual core?
__________________

__________________
Core 2 Duo E6400, DFI Infinity 975X/G, 2x 512mb DDR2 667mhz, Albatron 7900gt, WD 200gb SATA, Samsung DVD-RW, Silverstone ST-50EF 500w PSU.
waynejkruse10 is offline  
Old 03-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #32 (permalink)

Triforcer
 
Baez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,987
Default

dual core r really good cpu's and r gonna be used more and more in the near future
__________________

__________________


Baez is offline  
Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,782
Default

if he is referring to dual core - multiple lesser cpu's are better than 1 really good one.
__________________
Core 2 Duo E6400, DFI Infinity 975X/G, 2x 512mb DDR2 667mhz, Albatron 7900gt, WD 200gb SATA, Samsung DVD-RW, Silverstone ST-50EF 500w PSU.
waynejkruse10 is offline  
Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Triforcer
 
Baez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,987
Default

ya exactly
__________________


Baez is offline  
Old 03-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Disillusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 810
Default

Man the Yonahs are AMAZING. I just had first hand experience today with my friends Dell E1705 with a Core Duo @ 1.83 GHz. It's still got the original operating system with the garbage on it and we ran Super PI mod 1.5. It calculated 1M digits of pi in 32.969 seconds. Simply amazing. That blows away my single core AMD @ 2.6 GHz with a time of 37 seconds. One I recently built has an AMD 3500+ @ 2.65 GHz and it's super pi time is only 36.6 seconds.
__________________
CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master V8
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
HDD: Cruicial M4 SSD 128 GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 300 GB
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series
Disillusion is offline  
Old 03-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Quote:
Simply amazing. That blows away my single core AMD @ 2.6 GHz with a time of 37 seconds. One I recently built has an AMD 3500+ @ 2.65 GHz and it's super pi time is only 36.6 seconds.
Ok......then your build must be cluttered as crap too. I just ran superPI right now on my machine, 3200+ venice at 2.565GHz, WITH not one, but count em, two different bittorent clients running in the background, anti-virus on, only 250mb of free ram available, etc..etc.. and got 33.219 seconds for the 1M test.

No doubt if I disabled all this crap, the anti-virus, the torrents, and even this browser, stuff like that it'd probably be at 32 seconds, if not high 31's
Nubius is offline  
Old 03-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Disillusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
Ok......then your build must be cluttered as crap too. I just ran superPI right now on my machine, 3200+ venice at 2.565GHz, WITH not one, but count em, two different bittorent clients running in the background, anti-virus on, only 250mb of free ram available, etc..etc.. and got 33.219 seconds for the 1M test.

No doubt if I disabled all this crap, the anti-virus, the torrents, and even this browser, stuff like that it'd probably be at 32 seconds, if not high 31's
That's funny that you say that because my system is sqeaky clean. I have a small OCD when it comes to having a clean system.

I've also noticed that shutting down programs to free up RAM doesn't make much of a difference, if any.
__________________
CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master V8
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
HDD: Cruicial M4 SSD 128 GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 300 GB
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series
Disillusion is offline  
Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Well then I don't know what to tell you. It goes against the laws of everything for my 2.565GHz to outperform your 2.65GHz dont ya think?

By the way I meant to upload this pic earlier so you can see exactly how mines set up, but putfile was being lame and it wouldn't upload.



HOWEVER........I also forgot to take into account that my RAM is OC'd up to DDR466 which DOES effect SuperPI times.

Also, a little trick for ya. Go to the processes, right click on superPI and change the priority to "Real time", don't expect a 5 seconds drop or anything.....I think it took like .7 seconds off of mine, which when it comes to timings with 3 decimal places really is quite a bit.

BAH! Another thing I didn't even notice is if you were talking about a socket 754 system. Not having dual channel would also make a difference, and yeah, you were right about the RAM freeing.....I freed up RAM (stopped torrents, and all that crap) and it basically made no difference, but the speed of the RAM does.
Nubius is offline  
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Disillusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
Well then I don't know what to tell you. It goes against the laws of everything for my 2.565GHz to outperform your 2.65GHz dont ya think?

By the way I meant to upload this pic earlier so you can see exactly how mines set up, but putfile was being lame and it wouldn't upload.



HOWEVER........I also forgot to take into account that my RAM is OC'd up to DDR466 which DOES effect SuperPI times.

Also, a little trick for ya. Go to the processes, right click on superPI and change the priority to "Real time", don't expect a 5 seconds drop or anything.....I think it took like .7 seconds off of mine, which when it comes to timings with 3 decimal places really is quite a bit.

BAH! Another thing I didn't even notice is if you were talking about a socket 754 system. Not having dual channel would also make a difference, and yeah, you were right about the RAM freeing.....I freed up RAM (stopped torrents, and all that crap) and it basically made no difference, but the speed of the RAM does.
Yeah, I'm using 754 on mine. The other build we did, it 939 but it's not using dual channel either. That might explain the difference.
__________________
CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master V8
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
HDD: Cruicial M4 SSD 128 GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 300 GB
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite Series
Disillusion is offline  
Old 03-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #40 (permalink)

Triforcer
 
Baez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,987
Default

i'm thinking of trading in my 6 month old pentium M for a new core duo. they look awesome.
__________________

__________________


Baez is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.