New Technology Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majik

Solid State Member
Guy I have this video card from the store called 9600 XT. This man's motherboard (sp?) holds 1 adaptation unit for AGP. Except the video card's connecting thing is PCI Express - Here's the low down. Guy running things told me AGP 3.0 will fit in PCI Express and that I have to throw my AGP 2.0 card in the garbage. This man he flipped. I said chill. We will exchange the card. Now this guy has 2 video cards, none that fit in the computer.

Suggestions? - Thanks & Keep Real.

agp 3.0? never heard of that...

but anyways, only pci-express cards will fit into a pci-express slot. so return whatever won't fit and buy what will fit.

AGP comes in 2x 4x and 8x flavours, with 4x and 8x being compatible with one another. The 9600XT is an AGP 8x card...there's no such thing as a PCI-E 9600XT and you sure as hell can't use an "AGP 3.0" or any AGP card in a PCI-E slot for that matter

Sorry but that guy is a tool

yea agp 3.0 is a just a version for bios like there was a 2.0 and it works with agp4x/8x. like aol 6.0 is just a verision of aol(bad example i know) and no agp will fit in pci-e lol would be wierd if ture though

Majik said:
Guy running things told me AGP 3.0 will fit in PCI Express and that I have to throw my AGP 2.0 card in the garbage.
well he really shouldn't be working at a computer shop then...
AGP 3.0 cards will work in AGP 8X and 4X slots ONLY. nothing else.

an AGP card may be able to physically fit in a PCI-E 16X slot, but it will definately not work in it. PCI-E is a completely different interface.

gaara said:
AGP comes in 2x 4x and 8x flavours, with 4x and 8x being compatible with one another. The 9600XT is an AGP 8x card...there's no such thing as a PCI-E 9600XT and you sure as hell can't use an "AGP 3.0" or any AGP card in a PCI-E slot for that matter

Sorry but that guy is a tool

AGP 1 = 2x
AGP 2 = 4x
AGP 3 = 8x

Yeah that sounds right, they also have a version number as well as a speed. And no you cannot put your 9600XT in PCI-E :confused:

On your video card and motherboard, you have an AGP 2x Notch and AGP 4x Notch.

If might be that the customer is installing a AGP 2x Card onto an motherbard that has an APG 4x slot. And if that is the case, the it will be phyically impossible to install the card.

I ran into this problem earlier this year with installing an old video (SiS 8mb APG) card onto a new system (AMD Athlon 64 System).

Guy running things told me AGP 3.0 will fit in PCI Express
Ask the guy if he has any job avalable as he's too stupid to be working in a computer store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom