New system, tweaking/optomizing Q's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunnoe

Baseband Member
Hi all, I'm getting ready to build a computer and I'd like some tips or pointers from some of the more experienced guys around here.
What do you all do when putting a new system together to optomize or tweak it out for maximum performance?
Aside from downloading drivers and service packs etc. I don't really know what needs to be done to make sure its running at its best.

The system is going to be (so far; I'm still taking recommendations):

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
COOLMAX "EZ Wire" CU-400T ATX 400W Power Supply
SONY Black IDE CD-ROM Drive
MSI RX800XL-VT2D256E Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
ASPIRE X-CRUISE -RD Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
(haven't decided on monitor yet)

thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

scrap the radeon and get an nvidia 6800 ultra or 7800gtx. search the forums for optimization tips.

Patrick why do you recommend the nvidia over the radeon? is it just because you have one yourself?
I am paying for this computer myself and am also gettingready to head out to college soon so cost is very important. The raden is comperable and for under 300$. the geforce is going for well over 400$ in most cases while the gtx is around 500$

everything i've read points toward radeon in my price range

reggie, what do you mean new ram? i haven't even bought it yet.
do you mean better quality? more of it, or what?

And i didn't mean overclocking, just the small things the more experienced people do to help the computer to run as best it can when they first put a system together.

PatrickK said:
scrap the radeon and get an nvidia 6800 ultra or 7800gtx. search the forums for optimization tips.

Are you high the x800xl is way cheeper then the 6800u and faster in most benchmarks.

edit: btw go for ocz value if you plan to overclock some of the sticks have BH-5 ic's :).

Go with the 6800 GT.
Better or similar performance compared to X800 XL, but has Shader 3.0 support, which makes it future proof for future gaming.
And it's around $300.
6800 GT PCI-E

And you should think about a different power supply; like is the one I have and it runs great.this
Or this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom