New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
hey thanks for all the support im finally starting my new computer! i just bought a sound blaster audigy 2 zs and 2 160 gb 7200 rpm hds for 40 bucks each(not the sound card.) then i overnighted a socket 939 3800 an msi neo2 platinum and a dvd burner with lightscribe. i bought an agp board because i have an agp video card and am gonna upgrade when i get a dual core board and another 3800.

i know its too late now but how is the 3800? i was just wonderin if it was paying the extra 100 bucks over the 3500.

also how do i partition hard drives?
thanks for all the support ill post pics as soon as i finish

Put in your Windows CD and set your BIOS to boot from CD. When Windows setup loads up it will show you the available areas you can install windows. Then you can hit C I think it is (don't worry it will tell you what to hit anyway) to create a new partition and then you can specify how large you want that partition to be. After you select that hit enter to begin installing windows on that partition.
Oh and I'm assuming you might want to RAID those hard drives. You have to set up your RAID config prior to this. You also need to have a floppy ready to go with the appropriate RAID drivers. During Windows installation it will tell you to press F6 if you want to install RAID drivers.

Good luck with your system.

yes im planning on doing raid but someone told me that you HAVE to have 3 hds for raid. 1 for os and 2 for the raid but i was hoping i could raid 0 the os using partitions.

if you were wondering what the hell my sig is im gonna upgrade to 2 processors when the dual core boards come out.

finally do i have to have a floppy or can i use a jumpdrive because i wasnt gonna put a floppy drive in.
thanks!

PoisonPorkchop said:
yes im planning on doing raid but someone told me that you HAVE to have 3 hds for raid. 1 for os and 2 for the raid but i was hoping i could raid 0 the os using partitions.

if you were wondering what the hell my sig is im gonna upgrade to 2 processors when the dual core boards come out.

finally do i have to have a floppy or can i use a jumpdrive because i wasnt gonna put a floppy drive in.
thanks!
You need only 2 drives to run a RAID configuration. Yes you can run your two HD's in RAID 0 for a large performance increase.
You would only create one partition to do this though. So when Windows setup loads up and it asks you where you want to install windows. It should have just one spot that will state your total space and it will say unpartioned next to it. Just push enter and it will install Windows on both your hard drives in RAID 0 using the full amount of available space.
Basically you need only one partition, do not create another unless you want another operating system or something.

Lastly, I am not familiar with your motherboard, it depends on that. Consult your motherboard manual and look for a section about setting up RAID. It should tell you how to install the drivers. In my case a floppy drive was required to install the RAID drivers. I had to copy the drivers from the motherboard driver CD to a floppy disk and then put in that floppy during installation for it to work. But floppys are cheap so I think you should get one anyway myself.

i know there cheap but the less stuff in your case the better the airflow. also i NEVER use floppy disks except for when i play simfarmIa true classic) which is installed on my familys computer

what do you mean it will work with dual core cpus? im talking about a motherboard with two cpu slots so i can have 2 3800s in it.

Dual PROCESSOR is for operatons which are SKT 940

Dual core is basicly 2 CPU's being on the same die.

If you want Dual 3800's, good luck since their is not and will not be a commercial board to handle two of them. Someone however did custom build a few mother boards and was even able to run celerons in dual processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom