New Q6600 running VERY hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

immy3

Baseband Member
So I just put together my new machine last night and after running hardware monitoring software found on the stock cooling my 6600 was idling at around 42* Celsius and getting up to 60 under load. While not excessively hot, I wanted it to be lower so I bought an aftermarket heatsink, the Apack Zerothern CF900 and then it started running even hotter, idling in the fifties and getting up to 70 under load. I was like wtf. The Thermal compound I'm using is Ultra Thermal Gel. It came with a brush and I spread the paste out very evenly along the surface of the CPU, making sure it was a thin layer. The heatsink is in contact with the CPU, and I really cannot understand why it is running so hot. The case temps are fine, my GPU temp is perfectly fine, idling at around 39* and my CPU is at stock speeds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Get some better stuff like Arctic Silver 5 or Artic Cooling MX-2.
Did you clean the cpu properly when you installed the new HSF.
Also maybe the HSF is not having a good contact with the cpu. Try reseating it again to see if you get better results.

Ok, well I applied the paste in a different manner and put the stock cooler back on and now im idling around 40*, just fired up Medieval Two Total War and at peak it was at 51* so I think I'm good.

BUT, I have one huge question. Coretemp and CPU-Z say my CPU is running at 1600 Mhz with a 266X6 multiplier when it should be running at 2400 Mhz with a 266x9 multiplier. I never changed the multiplier. Are these programs just giving me faulty speeds or why is my processor a full .8 Ghz shy of its stock speed?

Weird, Cpu-z and Coretemp both showed 1600 Mhz but CPU info is showing it at 2400 Mhz...

So either Cpu-z and coretemp are wrong or CPU info is wrong...

Hey and thanks a lot for all the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Here is an explanation of why your cpu is running slower than its stock speed.

CPU Speed Changing? Speedstep and Cool and Quiet Technology Explained

If you do get better thermal paste get Tuniq TX-2. It is better and cheaper than Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-2.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

The shipping blows... I looked for a cheap retailer on ebay who might have free shipping... but nope. I hate how it costs more then the darn compound.

Its one of those things! They know you NEED it. Its not like they have to strip-mine it from the moon or something. I think its ridiculous that you get so little for such outrageous prices. First time I ever bought thermal paste I swore I got ripped off, lol.

Weird, Cpu-z and Coretemp both showed 1600 Mhz but CPU info is showing it at 2400 Mhz...

So either Cpu-z and coretemp are wrong or CPU info is wrong...

Hey and thanks a lot for all the help, I really appreciate it. :)

if you read puddle jumper's post he has a link as to why cpuz and core temp are showing your cpu speed as lower then it is...

Yeah I did read the post but I wanna know why CPU-info(the program) shows my speed at 2400 Mhz while the other two show it at 1600 Mhz. One of them is not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom