New PC. Running slow. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PositiveKaram

In Runtime
So I just got my PC up and running. But the mouse is really slow when going across the screen. I mean lagging slow, not speed wise. Here's my setup.

CPU - Intel i5 750 Lynnfield Quad-Core
GPU - PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB GDDR3
RAM - OCZ DDR3 1600
Motherboard - EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR
PSU - Corsair 650 Watt
OS - Windows XP

Now I think it's because I'm running all of this on XP. Would it be a better idea to install Windows 7?

Thanks,
Mike

I would definitely recommend installing 7, but I don't think XP is the issue. Can you be more specific as to what really slow means, if not speed? Does it jump about instead of smoothly scroll across the screen?

Try downloading the latest graphics drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-257.21-whql-driver.html) and replacing them with the current ones, see if that makes any difference.

Yes. Say I want to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other to click an icon. It will move about 3 seconds after I move the mouse, and It will move much, much more than I anticipated it to. I will download that driver and install it. And I'm getting Win 7 right now so Hopefully everything will be fixed. (But I have to let it format my 1TB Western Digital again! That was painstaking. Took 3 hours).

Thanks for being the one out of 40 people who replied too. I was starting to get frustrated haha.

Best regards,
Mike

Hello PositiveKaram,
Do you have another mouse you can try ?, any old thing will do, just to see if it is a hardware or software issue.

Hello PositiveKaram,
Do you have another mouse you can try ?, any old thing will do, just to see if it is a hardware or software issue.

Stoneys that's a good idea. I haven't thought of that. I'm using one of Microsoft's new Wireless Mouses with the Nano-USB receiver. I'll look for the drivers/installation cd for the mouse after I try a different mouse. I did notice the lag is MUCH more significant when running dual monitors. So it could possibly be the GPU drivers? Will update everything when I get home. If it doesn't fix I will be installing Windows 7 (Have it on my laptop, it's okay.)

Best regards,
Mike

Yes. Say I want to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other to click an icon. It will move about 3 seconds after I move the mouse, and It will move much, much more than I anticipated it to. I will download that driver and install it. And I'm getting Win 7 right now so Hopefully everything will be fixed. (But I have to let it format my 1TB Western Digital again! That was painstaking. Took 3 hours).

Thanks for being the one out of 40 people who replied too. I was starting to get frustrated haha.

Best regards,
Mike

Partitions. Use them.

Definitely try another mouse and also look in Device Manager for drivers that aren't installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom