New To Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
I am new to overclocking and am trying to download all of the programs I will need to do the cpu test, stress test, all the stuff I need.

I have read threw alot of threads, but still alittle confused on what all programs I need.

Memtest 86+
Prime 95
I believe I need these 2....are there others I should get also?

Any help as to what i need and where i can download them will be apprecited....thanks.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I am just trying to understand this overclocking stuff :confused:

In my opinion Everest is way too complex to use as a temp monitor.

Here are my suggestions.

Temperature Monitoring: SpeedFan and CoreTemp

I like SpeedFan as a temp monitor for two reasons: it displays values close to those of CoreTemp (believed to be very accurate) and it can graph a historic chart of the past 15 mins, which is very useful to observe the temp behavior of your CPU.

CoreTemp is a small, simple and supposedly very accurate app to measure your Core 2 Duo temperature. Keep it on your system tray at all times!

CPU Benchmark: Super Pi Mod

We all know Super Pi. This version is a small modification that displays times with milliseconds (the normal Super Pi only displayed seconds). It's the same in every other way. The time it takes for it to complete the 1M calculation is a standard benchmark nowadays. Because the time will go down as CPU frequency increases in a very linear fashion, it's very useful to check overclocked performance. Keep in mind, however, that this benchmark is very limited and does not represent the overall performance of your computer.

Stability Tester: Orthos Stress Prime 2004

Orthos Prime 2004 is essentially a moded version of Prime95. Its interface is completely redesigned to focus on CPU torture testing (ie: stability). Choose small, in-place FFTs and run this for a couple of hours to determine if your overclock and temperatures are stable. This app will stress you CPU far beyond the capacities of any regular Windows app. The ultimate stability test is running it for 12 or 24 hours continuously.

Thanks Meithan.....just got done downloading those you linked also....thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom