New Overclocker and I messed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

staser9er

Beta member
Alright, I have an Asus M2n-SLi 570 series motherboard and an AMD X2 5600, I was messin around in the BIOS looking at overclocking options, everything was working fine, until I decided to experiment with lowering the multiplier and raising the frequency. Originally 14x at 200Mhz, I changed it to 9X at 300mhz, and now the computer turns on but doesn't post or display any video. I tried to reset the CMOS by removing the battery and resetting the jumpers but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Pull the battery out, move the jumper to pins 2-3 and wait 10 seconds, put the jumper back on pins 1-2 then put the battery back.

When resetting cmos did you unplug ATX power? 24pin and 4pin? I have to unplug both for cmos to reset along with removing the battery and resetting pins.

I think he meant from the board. you can just unplug the power from the wall to the psu then press the power button a few times to discharge any excess power in the capacitors. Also, you dont need to pull the battery to reset the cmos. Unplug the psu, push the power button a few tiems, change the jumper, plug it back in, turn the computer on (this resets the cmos), then repeat the process with the jumper on the correct setting.

Well, I ended up taking apart the entire thing. After trying to reset the CMOS a few times by changing the jumpers it now turns on for about 4 seconds and shuts off. I'm thinking I fried the motherboard or the processor or both. Thanks for the input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom