new mobo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default new mobo

I figured out that the problem with my computer was a bad motherboard, so that means I will be needing to replace it. I want to stick with a socket A simply cause I don't have the cash for a 64 cpu right now. What are some good brands to look at? And, this is probably a noob question, but if the board has a nvidia chipset, would there be compatibilty issues with an ati video card?

Old 09-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I would go with one of the Abit NF7 Series boards, I owned the NF7-S, worked perfectly, and had more features than I could use. As for compatability, you won't have any problem using the Nvidia chipset, which is on the NF7 Series boards, and using an ATI Card.

1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 09-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie

I would also stick with the Abit NF7 series.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
I would also stick with the Abit NF7 series
I'm gonna 3rd that
Old 09-27-2004, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well then, I spose I'll probably go for that. the only downside is the lack of video, so It'll be a few weeks before I can afford the card I want so I can actually do anything.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ahh yes....well onboard video sucks anyway and just causes a lot of system slow down. Especially if you want to play games. As it is onboard sound can mess up quite a bit especially if your computer is playing an intense game requiring a lot of power. Onboard peripherals are somewhat buggy still I think and just take more communication power between the CPU and whatnot. So I think you'll be better off and happier with an actual graphics card and not just onboard.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well yes of course. However, i was hoping to use the onboard video so i could have a monitor. I could at least play hl or somethin without a card. I was going to get the card after I got money again, now I just gotta do it all at once. Probably easier this way actually. Is there any brand preference on vid cards? MSI or Sapphire? Lookin at 9800pro.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

"Well then, I spose I'll probably go for that. the only downside is the lack of video, so It'll be a few weeks before I can afford the card I want so I can actually do anything."

What, don't you have a video card????
Old 09-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

"Well then, I spose I'll probably go for that. the only downside is the lack of video, so It'll be a few weeks before I can afford the card I want so I can actually do anything."

What, don't you have a video card????

For a video card, MSI.......well, with my 9800Pro, It was the source of all my probs, but I managed to fix it. Only one man's opion though. I've not used a Sapphire card before, so I dunno about it.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've never used a Sapphire card either. Only ones I've ever had are Visiontek and Chaintech I believe, next I'm lookin to get eVGA brand card. I have an MSI board and it's treated me good. I don't think you could go wrong with an MSI based card, but I haven't ever bought ATI so ag3 needs to be here for that. ooooh and I'm sure he will be. He's always lurking in the shadows waiting to tackle my nvidia praises.

Closed Thread