New Member.....Looking to build new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaniver

Baseband Member
Howdy been looking around the boards and I'm enjoying all the info available here.
Lookin to build a new system in the near future and would like some feedback. What I have selected so far is...
Lian-Li PC V1000 I like the the new layout design of this case spendy but plan on keepin it for a long time.

PS Zalman 400w noiseless...sounds adequit and i like silence.

Motherboard Asus P4C800 E Deluxe like the reviews on this one and seems to have a nice board layout. One of the Abit I was considering seemed to have more complications in the layout design.

CPU P4 478 3.0ghz 800fsb 512 HT

Mem DDR (400) 3200 1GB (2pcs 512) corsair

HD 120 GB seagate SATA 7200 rpm

Plextor CD/RW
Lite on dvd
Teac floppy

Graphics ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Saphire) 128 MB

I have existing Klipsch speakers and audigy gamer sound that I plan on using with this setup. I'm not interested in overclocking but certainly will be gaming. Mostly I seek stability and usibility over the 2-3 yrs as this seems to be the point where I get the upgrade bug.
I really like the sounds of the Lian-Li case and reviews I read said the two 120mm fans kept the case surprisingly cool. Anyone have any comments on this case? Or my proposed components?

Honestly the specs on things now days are so close that if decent componets are selected I don't see how i can go wrong.
I know alot of you really prefer the AMD processors. My thinking is the Intel P4 is gonna run a little cooler and I want quieter for my next system. I have an Alien Aurora now....it's loud!

Thanks for any advice you may lend....Kani

Sounds like a pretty solid setup. The only thing I would change is the graphics card. Go with a Radeon 9800xt 256mb card if you don't want to upgrade your hardware for at least 2 years. You can play most games on a 128mb card but some of the newer games like Farcry, Halflife 2, and Doom 3 would play much better and with fuller detail with a 256mb card. The Radeon 9800xt should be coming down in price soon.

And one more thing, seriously consider an AMD processor. They run a lot cooler than you think and AMD has been kickin ass in the gaming benchmarks. Do a little research.

It is true that AMD processor are faster for games. In my opinion a 128MB graphics card is good enough for any game out there, plus any future games.

I know you said you dont want to overclock but if you get yourself an AMD and overclock it a little bit at least you are getting the best performance out of your processor.

If you like quiet buy a processor (any, AMD or Intel) and a good heatsink and fan that has a manual rpm controller, then run the CPU at stock speeds and turn the fan down to a low rpm like 1,400rpm.

Get a good heatsink and you only need to run the fan at low rpm's, whisper quiet but with very good cooling.

Edit: Get a Sapphire 256MB 9800 Pro and change the BIOS to the 9800XT, it works.

The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide Rev. 4.0

Read first customer review from Newegg.com

That Intel processor will run quieter than an AMD, no question there. AMDs are supposedly better at gaming, but the difference is so marginal you will not notice a difference in performance. The truth is the CPU really doesn't matter all that much anymore in gaming.

It depends what games you play, there is a massive difference in performance you put game detail high and resolution at 1600x1200 - your FPS will jump from 20 - 40 on the latest games using an AMD.

Yeah, that's true. An AMD will be better at gaming than an Intel, considering you're not overclocking. The thing is that Intel generally have much better-designed heatsinks and fans than AMD, and if you wasnt a cool, quiet system you should invest in a Zalman CPU cooler as well. But in this case, I think you should go with an AMD, get an AMD64 Socket 754. Socket A is on its way out, and with Socket 754 you'll be able to upgrade WELL into the future.

Sorry knuckle, s754 has no future; they don't plan on going any further for s754 after 3400+. s939 is it's sucessor and starts off at 3500+.

Actually most of my gaming is MMORPG's. I will occasionaly buy a few pc games a year as they don't hold my interests very long anyways.
I'm looking foward to giving WOW a try when released.......I understand that is's not very graphics intensive as far as system requirements. Of course I'm also looking foward to doom 3 which is probally much more graphics intensive.

Still looking to any comments on the lian-li case?

PS this is a great site glad I stumbeled across it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom