New Gaming Build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Pretend I know nothing about computers. I want to get a gaming build. I have decided I really do not want to overclock. I just want to be able to play BF2 nicely, where it will load fast. I would like the option to overclock later on, but for now, no. I have a hard drive I am going to swtich over, and a case already picked out. W/ those 2 into consideration, I would like a build under $600. Thanks!

Is that $600 including the case price, or not, including???

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-130
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K-128
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-169
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A-56 (Not sure if you need or not?)
Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2-92 (Do you need?)
Total $581 not including the ^^

As for psu, if you have a decent one in your case, you don't need, but if not:
Rosewill RP550 ATX 550W Power Supply-57
ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply-55
either one will do $636-637.

idiotec said:
Is this the third thread you started for this topic, or is this number 4 :rolleyes:
I thought it was the sixth :p.

There were plenty of good builds in your other thread, don't know why you need another thread. I think there is a rule here that you should only post one thread for your build.

Because ppl start to move on to random subjects and start to argue and flame, like you and Hacp do.

Now, I know the rules.

I have an OS, and the price does not include the case and HD.

A forum is practically built to argue. I wouldn't consider it a flame though, we just simply disagree. If it was a flame thread, it would've been closed by now.

People have some suggestions, others have better ones. I make mistakes, but I do admit to them. But Hacp immature act of rubbing it in is very unnecessary, and I find it very difficult to talk with someone like so. You wanted an EXTREMELY OC'able computer, and he simply doesn't understand that that is impossible with a low budget. Anyone would agree. 200mhz is hardly an EXTREME OC. Low budget can't afford adequate cooling, decreasing the ability to OC very high.

Hopefully that is a done deal as I'm sick of dealing with people like so and I'm sure your sick of people corrupting your thread. I apologize for doing so, just got caught up in the moment.

After rambling on a bit, now for your build.

I think damasta55r hit the spot there. You would probably be able to go with some cheaper RAM if you want to save, but since you want to OC, good RAM will always help.

Between the two PSUs, the Rosewill seems to be a very good "bang-for-the-buck" PSU. It certainly isn't a name-brand PSU, but from what I have heard, it will do your system just fine. I would consider getting a better PSU in the future if you plan to OC. You may find yourself having to pump out more voltage, and you certainly don't want to take power from something that will crap out.

For the GPU, would Leadtek be a better choice? I can't stop seeing so many people with Leadteks for the 6600GTs.

That build has the best DVD burner out on the market, NEC 3540a. A DVD burner is a DVD burner, but you will only buy one and keep it through upgrades.

You could probably get away with some OC straight out of the box. I would definitely consider getting an aftermarket heatsink until you can save up money for a serious cooling system (if you plan to). Look into the Thermalright XP-90 or that Zalman. It will most definitely increase your ability to OC for a very small price. Well worth the bucks.

Now that's more like it. I don't know why everyone posts DVD/CD Buners. I can find a cheap $30 CD/DVD ROM drive.

I can save some money getting the nf3 DFI version, with the AGP version of the 6600GT by eVGA. That will bring me to about $600 w/ everything else you suggested. Great :)

For the sake of OC'ing and upgrading, that nF4 DFI and PCI-E would be a better bet. Who knows if the future generation of GPUs will even support AGP. We certainly know that the 7800s don't. But if you're looking for just a PC to bust out now and are willing to scrap your mobo later for a better one, I suppose it could work.

That $637 deal is the best and cheapest i would go. I agree with ^.
Since you say you don't want to oc, stock cooling would do. Should you want to oc in the future, low oc would do with stock cooling, if you want extreme, there's a limit to air cool even with a better hsf. You really should stick to one post. Basically i just pasted the same list from the other one. I don't even look up parts anymore, i have a list for sub $500 pc, $500-1000, 1000-1500, and for higher, all i do is add more parts that aren't really important just for the sake of spending the money. lOl. i update the list every once in a while. SOmeone caught some outdated hardware in another forum, i didn't realize until yesterday, that the nec drive is now old.

Roger

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom