New Custom PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agkanter

Beta member
Recently, the PSU of my old PC blew. I'm not sure if there's any other damage, but it's time for me to get a new one anyway (if not, I will in a few months). I'm going to get a custom PC from my local PC shop. Right now I'm leaning towards AMD, just because it's cheaper, but I still might go with Intel. I'll mainly be using my PC for e-mail, word processing, music, and occasional photo editing. My main resource-consuming task is the voice-recognition program Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

This would be my Intel system:

CPU: Pentium 4 3.0C
Motherboard: ASUS P4S800-MX
Hard Drive: Seagate 120GB IDE U100-7200RPM 8MB
Graphics: Integrated
Sound: Integrated
RAM: 1GB DDR

This would be my AMD system:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard: ASUS K8S-MX, Abit KV-80, or Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M (Rev 1.x)
Hard Drive: Seagate 120GB IDE U100-7200RPM 8MB
Graphics: Integrated
Sound: Integrated
RAM: 1GB DDR

They would both be around $700. Which one should I get, and if AMD, what Motherboard should I get?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Get the AMD system, just because it is cheaper. Also, get the Jetway micro ATX motherboard that is based on the Radeon 200Xpress chipset. Good sound, and workable video.

Hacp said:
Get the AMD system, just because it is cheaper. Also, get the Jetway micro ATX motherboard that is based on the Radeon 200Xpress chipset. Good sound, and workable video.

Which model number is that? I can't find it on the Jetway website.

Hacp said:

I have heard some horror stories about Jetway :confused: But I can't say for sure. Personally, I would go with the Asus or Abit you listed.

Also, one note, for your purposes, I would have to say the Intel would probably perform a little better...

Umm. that mobo is 939. If your processor is socket 754, then your mobo is fine.

Are their any other options besides those three, he is not only giving you products that are really old, but products that are at end of their life.

For 700$ you could do ALOT better, you defiantly want socket 939 motherboard's

DJ-CHRIS said:
Are their any other options besides those three, he is not only giving you products that are really old, but products that are at end of their life.

For 700$ you could do ALOT better, you defiantly want socket 939 motherboard's

The shop's is Madison Computers, but I think they'll get any part that you want. What would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom