New Computer...what will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snopro879

Baseband Member
Ok I bought my friends old computer off him...well it wasnt what he said it was so I got my money back from that but I also invested 250 bucks in a 160 gig hd and xp pro, so now I'm thinking I should build a new system instead of letting that hd and os just sit there. So, I need some help, this is the first system I've ever built so I need some help with compatability. I was thinking an AMD 64 3000+ or 3200+ with hyper-transport technology...and with that said whats a good motherboard that supports hyper-transport?? I kind of want to stick to well known names like MSI or ASUS, I've already decided on a nice 550 watt power supply and a 512 stick of crucial ram. I was thinking the ATI x700 vid card too (im not about to spend 400 on the x800). I will probably be playing hl2 and doing some pretty heavy graphics, so will the x700 suite me? I put a system together on new egg for about 700 bucks, but if anyone knows a better site let me know. Or...if maybe intel's better for graphics? Also, the hd i have is ide, not SATA (i think its SATA) but if you find a motherboard with both, that would work fine because i may upgrade in the future. But any feedback would help, thanks.

AMD isn't like Intel in that you gotta find a board to match the socket AND support a certain feature.

Make sure you get socket 939 motherboard

I suggest either the MSI Neo2-Platinum or the ABit AV8-3rd Eye, personally I hate ASUS. Their tech support sucks all balls and their quality has gone downhill since back in the day.

AMD's are generally better for graphics and Intel better for multitasking applications. That's just the generalized guideline, but it really always comes down to personal pref.

the X700 will suite your needs. As long as it's not the X600 you're good to go.

Motherboards don't come without both SATA and IDE ports now-a-days especially on a 64bit OS CPU it would be really ridiculous for them to leave it out.

The MSI board has 4 SATA ports I believe so you should definitely get a SATA drive...even if it's not 10,000RPM get SATA purely for the better transfer rate and make sure it has an 8mb buffer.

What make of power supply did you get? I suggest Thermaltake or Antec I believe is another good PSU maker. Ultra is not too bad either and their Modular Connection 500w PSU is really nice.

I would also suggest you look into getting one of these brands

OCZ
Corsair
Kingston

Those IMO are the top brands right now from best to least best.

This isn't to say brands like Mushkin aren't any good, but from my experience and others tales, those 3 are the best right now.

Believe that's everything...good luck

Ok, that may cost way to much for me. Is there really a big difference between SATA and IDE? And if i do go with SATA can i install my os on it and have it work? Because it's already been installed on my 160 gig. And whats the difference between a socket 939 and a socket 754. Would it really make a big difference if I got a 939 instead of a 754. How much of a diefference would I notice if I got 939 and a SATA instead of a 754 and IDE? I guess spending a little extra money could save me in the long run. Also whats ESATA?

I'd also like to add that almost all the motherboards i've seen on newegg have both IDE and SATA ports...or am I just retarted?

good lord man.....that's like 100 questions in one paragraph =/

What would cost too much? I only went off the parts you had already considered.

The difference between SATA and IDE is the transfer rates.

SATA = 150mb/sec

IDE = (assuming you get an ATA133 drive) is 133mb/sec

The other differences is that SATA has a 10,000RPM hard drive which hauls ass as far as windows loading, file copying is concerned but it's really expensive, that's why I said get a SATA drive but not necessarily the 10K RPM because a normal 7200RPM SATA drive is only like $5 more than normal ATA133 IDE.

And if i do go with SATA can i install my os on it and have it work?
??? I don't understand what you're confused about here.....of course you can install your OS on it...that's what hard drives are for...BUT you need a floppy drive because you have to hit F6 right when the winXP CD first boots up to install the SATA drivers before installing the OS

You'd want the OS on the SATA drive because like I said it has the faster transfer rate and it's pointless to have the slower drive on the OS...so if you get SATA put the OS on it and make the 160gb as backup...you don't need 160gb for an OS anyway..you only really need 25gb-30gb because that's plenty of space for installed programs and just keep whatever other junk you have on the backup.

And whats the difference between a socket 939 and a socket 754.
All you really need to know is the fact that AMD will continue to support and upgrade socket 939 whereas socket 754 has been dropped. Beyond that 754 can't run dual channel and I believe requires registered memory so there's no point in getting 754 especially now that they have the lower AMD64's like 3000+ and 3200+ available for socket 939

How much of a diefference would I notice if I got 939 and a SATA instead of a 754 and IDE?
That's pretty vague, you really can't just compare the two like that.

You don't see a performance increase with Socket 939 it's simply the fact like I said it'll be upgraded and currently has more features to it such as dual channel capabilities for your RAM.

The only thing that's comparable is SATA vs IDE

top IDE is 133mb/sec like I said and SATA is 150mb/sec so you'll notice a faster loading time with windows and overall system speed since your computer has to load all it's info from the HD's.

I guess spending a little extra money could save me in the long run.
That's what it all comes down to. You REALLY want to go with atleast socket 939 and I'm tellin you you'd be better off with a SATA drive, just a normal 7200RPM one and it'll only be like $5 more than a normal ATA 133 drive.

Don't know how big of a drive you want but here's a good drive:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-173&depa=1

Those HD's can be powered by your normal molex connector or some PSU's now come with SATA power connectors. You will however need a SATA cable if you don't already have one.

Also like I said you HAVE to have a floppy to install windows on a SATA drive, unless you make a slipstream CD which if you don't know what that is then more than likely it'll be more work than you care to do.

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm

There's info on how to create a slipstream CD if you're interested in reading about it.

Also whats ESATA?

Believe it means External SATA

that should keep you covered. lol try to keep your next post to one question for me :p I'm winded! :D

I'd also like to add that almost all the motherboards i've seen on newegg have both IDE and SATA ports...or am I just retarted?
Yeah what you see is correct....what's retarded about it though? That way you can have more HD's. 1 for each SATA port, two for each IDE. I got 4 myself. 2 HD's on the IDE cable and 1 on each SATA port.

Or you could have your HD's on the SATA ports and have 4 optical devices like 2 cd-roms, and 2 dvd-burners...stuff like that.

It's merely allowing for more connections.

AHH whats dual channel ram!!?? Just kidding, I actually don't know what it is but I think ill figure it out. THANK YOU for the advice. Maybe tomorrow ill put together another system on newegg and see what the price is, I was offered some $$ to help pay for it as a Christmas gift too so that should help me get some better stuff. Again...THANK YOU. And anyone else who would like to post some comments please do!

Ok, here's what I'm thinking of...

Case... http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-196-005&depa=1

Power Supply... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-007&depa=1

Video Card... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-414&depa=1

Ram... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-450&depa=1

Motherboard... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-064&depa=1

Processor... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-463&depa=1

I think that's it, I'll worry about a mouse, keyboard, and speakers later, and I have a moniter.

If you actually feel like going though all of those, let me know if everything is compatable...and if I'm missing anything, THANK YOU.

Ok, first thing i see a problem with is that mobo. I really think you should listin to Nubius and go with either the MSI Neo2-Platinum or Abit 3rd Eye AV8 K8T800 Pro mobo. That video card is prtty good for your money, it has a nice Clockcore speed/Effective Memory speed. So i think thats a nice card to get.

I would also go with Kingston Dual Channel Ram. That Hard Drive is the type you need. I highly recommend getting 10000rpm SATA, but if you cant offered it its not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom