new computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Solid State Member
new computer problem

Just put together a new computer. When I power it up I keep getting this message

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

Appreciate any help.
Thanks

There are usualy two IDE connections on your motherboard, try connecting your HD to the primary IDE connection and set its jumper to Master. You could also unplug any other drives before doing this so that you are only working with the HD, in case there may be a conflict in jumper settings or a faulty HD(which is not likely).

Use IDE1 for the Hard drive, set to Master (where operating system is installed) as gumshoe mentioned, and you can set the jumpers to Slave for a CD-ROM or DVD-rom. Then you can set a CDRW to IDE2 Slave

Also, check in your bios to see what is booting first, and change the order if needed.

Thanks for the info guys. I removed the jumper on my cd & and set my #1 device as a cd rom, and that took care of the problem.I loaded my OS and seems to be OK so far.

Thanks
Greg

Yep. Once you load your OS from the CD, you don't need to have the CD rom as first boot device in your bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom