New to comp building, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

transference05

Beta member
So my comp is pretty old (got this one in '98 hehe), and I'll be needing a new one when I go away to college next year, so I figured I'd build one myself. I don't do a whole lot of gaming, maybe on occasion, but most of the time I will just be doing homework, chatting, or surfing the web on this comp. However, it will be my primary source of entertainment when I go to college, and I will be playing lots of DVD's on it, so I would like to have it geared towards that. With this in mind I picked out some components off of newegg that I thought looked pretty good, but I'd like some insight into my choices.

-Raidmax mid-tower 420 W ATX case (3 fans)
-Samsung 16x DVD+-RW
-AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 333mhz fsb, 256k cache, socket A, thoroughbred core
-Western Digital special edition 80gb hd
-Corsair value select 184 pin 512 MB DDR PC-3200 ram
-ABIT NF7-S V2 nforce 2 chipset motherboard for amd socket a
-already have floppy, modem, monitor etc.

Also, I'd like some recommendations on a good video card for $100-$150. Is there anything else I need to build this comp? Do I need to use thermal paste or anything? Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated.

thermal paste is a must but for college i would recomend a little more speed. i know you dont game but i really insist in a 64-bit athlon cause its the future. most things will start going to it being required in later years. Athlon XP is getting really outdated and for 333mhz that is sometimes a no in new computers. i would recomend at least a 120gig sata hd and a 6600GT(evga), and a gig of ram(corsair by personal preference). Plus w/ that 64-bit athlon i would recomend DFI, Abit, MSI, Soyo, in that order. If you do decide to get the Socket A then get a DFI Lanparty and the other things i said plus spend the extra money to get a 3200+.

Thanks for the replies. So, if 333mhz is a bad option, what is better for the FSB? I'm not too concerned with 64 bit right now personally because I'd just buy a new comp once most programs and such switch to 64.

Those are a little out of my price range, I'd like to stick with around $500-600 total if I can. Thanks for the input though. Also the comp I'm on now is a Pentium 2 350mhz, originally with 64mb ram, so anything will be a whole lot better. I had an AMD Athlon 1.33 ghz, 256 mb ram and that was pretty nice to me, but then the mobo just stopped working or something, so yea. Is this a common occurance with AMDs? It was only 3 years old. This comp is 6, pushing 7 years old and still running fine. Are Intels better quality?

ATI Radeon's have been known as solid vid cards. My GeForce 3 for like 60 bucks works great on my current comp.

For CPU if you plan to have it a while, 64-bit is not a bad idea, but the Athlon 3200 Barton Core would be your next best bet, or a cheaper Athlon of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom