New build processor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I've been wanting to do this for awhile and saw a good deal on a case, mobo, power supply barebones kit and I bought it. I figured I would buy the other parts as I got the money. The next thing is a processor. The mobo is a Soyo K7VME. On the specs it says:

Processors Supported:
AMD Athlon XP up to 2600+
AMD Athlon XP up to 3000+

Front Side Bus:
266MHz FSB
333MHz FSB

I am supposing that this means it supports a Athlon XP up to 2600 with a 266mhz FSB and a Athlon XP up to 3000 with a 333mhz FSB?
If this is correct I was wondering which one you guys recommend? I will be using the computer for games and mixing and mastering recorded music. I don't really care about having a real speed burner. As for the games I will be getting a decent AGP video card (don't really care about one that cost $100s). I have been doing my game playing and music on a P4 2.5ghz w/512 PC2100 DDR RAM Compaq. I believe it is a 400mhz FSB. The mobo on the Compaq doesn't even have a AGP slot. I am using a Geforce2 64mb DDR videocard in it with decent performance.
I guess the bottom line of what I am asking is what it would take to get as good as or a little better performance out of an AMD system and spend the least amount of money?

I would just get a Athlon 64 for gaming personally. You can get a Athlon 2800+ for 150$. But i wouldent go below 3000+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom