New to board, Another build, did research just quick q

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmightyAaron

Solid State Member
Hey guys just want to introduce my self and say hello. Also im finishing up my build already know what im getting and all just got a quick question or two.

Alright as far as specs here you go for alittle insight:

From newegg:

NEC DVD Burner 3540: 45.99

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 80gb SATA-OEM: 120.00

TwinMos 1GB(512x2) 184 pin DDR 400 ModelTMII400/1GB-OEM: 83.75

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 939: 188.00

Monarch Computers:

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra D 939: 120.00

From Xoxide:

Aspire X-Navigator aluminum case: 109.99

Ok i know i left some stuff out cause i work at bestbuy and can get it pretty cheap. Anyway from bestbuy im getting

Antec 480watt neopower supply: $90

All those items are for sure except maybe the ram.

Ok the question comes down to this... i dont "think" ill be overclocking anytime soon. Since i dont think ill be overclocking i guess the fan that comes with the cpu is just fine? I was going to get the Zalman 7700 heatsink and fan but i dont think i NEED but in know it wouldnt hurt. Also i know i left out the vid card because heres my main question. I know evga and leadtek are great brands and are excellent choices for oc'ing but how reliable is BFG? Reason i ask is because again i work at Bestbuy. I can get the BFG 6800gt pci-e for $270 and the BFG 6600gt for way less than that (havent priced checked that.)

Basically i know where i stand as if i want to overclock i know to get the zalman, other brand gpu, and probably better ram too huh?, but my question is, is BFG a reliable card as in quality built (ie good fan ect), and also is oc'ing a great benefit? i mean is it actually worth paying the extra or is this some hobby or showoff trend? (not meaning to be ugly with that comment)

I know i left little things out but i can get those dirt cheap. but thanks again for hearing me out. O btw these forums are a big help and would like to thank everyone who contributed with the educating info

Aaron

That RAM is really good for overclocking or not overclocking.
If you do overclock, it will be able to keep up quite well, but need a lot of voltage, which you DFI will be able to supply.

Stick with the Stock HSF for now. The Venices run really cool anyways, so mild overclocking is fine with the stock HSF. I would also pick up a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and discard the pad of stock thermal paste. Using AS5, even with a stock HSF, will lower your temps by a couple degrees. Plus, if you decide to get your Zalman later, you can use it then (There is enough AS5 in a tube to do several CPUs).

BFG makes decent vid cards, especially if you can get one that is cheap. The nice thing about them is that they are guarenteed to overclock, unlike a lot of other brands. Therfore, they already have sufficient cooling to keep the card at a good temp at higher clock speeds.

As for actual performance benefits of overclocking, I recommend you check out the ORB at www.futuremark.com to see for yourself. Compare the scores between systems that have been overclocked and those that havent.

No. Don't get that ram. OCZ Value ram for 105 dollars at newegg. Thats the one you want.

Hacp said:
No. Don't get that ram. OCZ Value ram for 105 dollars at newegg. Thats the one you want.

Do you care to back that up with something. That only sounds like a fanboy remark, due to the lack of proof or explaination.

Cool thanks alot for the link and info elbatrop1. Ya i think i will go ahead and get the zalman...might as well not that expensive and save myself from having to clean up the paste the next time around. Ya i can get the bfg 6600gt for like 120 dollars so i think i might get that.

Can you overclock the bfg cards even further?? and any downside to the card? i know the biggest was the extra charge because of the so called huge performance increase in their so called "overclock".

I think i will go with that ram unless someone can rebut otherwise with an explanation. thanks again.

Aaron

Im sure you could OC the BFG cards a little more than what they say they will. You could definitely OC them more if you get some really fancy HSF on there, or even watercooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom