never OC'ed before... need some guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1413

Baseband Member
well, i have read a good deal on the forums in the past month, and i think ive learned pretty much what i need to know for OCing.

system details are in the sig...

im using the stock cooler on my x2 6000+... what is a good cooler that will work well with it... i see apokalipse has it at 3.5 stable... what do u use?
also... my wiring sucks... so ill have to figure out a way to get this massive bundle of cables out of the way for anything to fit... the 24 pin is over my heatsink fan and infront one of my side 80mm intake fans... do you guys have any suggents for how to get this thing to better fit? or do i need to mod my case or something... i think if i put a larger heatsink and fan on my processor then the cable will be pressed against it fairly hard...

my MB temp is 37-40. my cpu idle temps are currently 43 and 41 (measureed with cpu z and everest ultimate) and underload im getting to 58-57... i know this is ok, but on the verge of too hot.

my 8800gt is at the standard 600/900 and at 44ish idle... what are good temps for a gpu? and how much can i OC this baby...

ive heard some great things about the old thermalight heatsink and fan but i cant find one for cheap... im looking to spend like.... no more than 50 bucks on a heatsink...

thanks in advance for all your help, as im sure ill get some great tips from you guys.

Thats not really good temps to start ocing on. Grab a tuniq tower. I wouldn't increase any voltage just yet until you grab a new cooler. You can start by uping the FSB in 5mhz increments until it becomes unstable and then back down 5- 10mhz. Underclock your ram speed so its out of the equation when overclocking. What G.skill's do you have?

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
thats my ram...

and yea, i wasnt planning on overclocking it untill i get a new heatsink...
ive looked at the tuniq tower also, not sure exactly how it will mount onto the AM2 socket with that plate and screws... wouldnt it be nice if it had the little lever and latch thing... /sigh... guess the little work is worth it in the long run lol.

anyways, im off to bed, ill check back in tomorrow, thanks.

yea i have looked into getting cooler you have... however my mobo's socket thingys are in such a way that the fan will point directly up or down... is there a way to change this? b/c i dont think getting air from my GPU is any good... i guess facing up would work... however i still think it would be best if it faced directly out of the back or right at one of my side intake fans...

edit: both are outa stock on newegg and the ETA isnt till xmas... im so impatient.. id rather cut myself than wait... but for only 20 bucks it is such a good deal :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom