Need suggestions on new hardware for my 4000+ machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
read the sticky at the top of this page lol.

change over to DFI.
change the psu - antec, thermaltake, OCZ, enermax, etc
change the ram - OCZ ... ... ...
video card should be a 7800GT or GTX.

The OCZ Rev2s use newer TCC5 chips, and although they are still on the brainpower PCBs, the TCC5s are nowhere as good as the older TCCD chips...since TCCD is discontinuing I suggest you grab some while they're still around as they are awesome chips

G.Skills if you can find them are THE best memory you can buy on the market...Patriot XBL are I believe still using TCCDs but I'm not entirely positive anymore

One other route you could take which would be cheaper would be some Winbond BH-5 chips...however you would need to upgrade your motherboard to the DFI lanparty since you need like 3.6vdimm for the BH-5s to clock decent

The lanparty is the board of choice if you are serious about overclocking

one quick question....how am i gonna cool this thing?
i wanna get this system to 3000MHz or above is that possible with this mobo?

Depends on the amount of voltage you can give your hardware. Generally, CPU voltage isn't a factor and a .6Ghz overclock should be possible with better than stock cooling and a slight increase in voltage. Say like 1.5v or something, up from 1.4v default.

You RAM however, if you want to overclock that then you will most likely need to give it more voltage.

Or you could totally ignore tha RAM like I do and simply overclock the CPU but that would result in a less-than-ideal overclock.

well after a long day of thinking, i am prolly not gonna upgrade this pc at all. I am just going to save the money and buy another pc this comming summer(06) or in the winter.

Hah, lol. Vaporcooling...pssh. Just get a good HSF (HeatSink + Fan) and you'll be doing 3GHz easy.

Get a Zalman CPU Cooler or the Thermalright XP-90 or XP-120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom