Need to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your useing the Cell features that will overclock EVERYTHING that can be overclocked, that includes video card, cpu, ram. And if you try to use that feature while changing the HTT the the entire board becomes unstable. So be carefull using the part that changes by percents

Nubius said:

What makes you say your stabelized your CPU? What did you do exactly to come to this conclusions?

Ran Prime95 for 6 hours and it passed the test it once failed, Wolfenstein stable for the hours I've played on it.

Now I'm running Prime95 for 24hours for long time stability, as for the 3dMark I dropped 30marks by raising my voltage up by 0.080v in CPU-Z? In bios I raised it from 1.7ish to 1.9, does the CPU use as much voltage as it needs then?

Going from 1.7 to 1.9vcore is a hunge increase dude, generally it just needs a couple .025 steps up at a time.

Your 6800GT should be able to do Ultra speeds out of the box honestly, most I've seen have no problems. NV Silencer should guarantee that and more.

If it's run prime95 24 hours no errors, then you could probably start slowly bumping down CPU voltage until you find the sweet spot.

Are we talking 30 marks in 3dmark03? You aint gonna get the same exact score every time dude, so don't look so much into a small drop like that

I've read some reviews on the XFX6800GT both of em couldn't OC to Ultra speeds and I got up to 405/1.06ghz and able to run 3dMark05 without white spots, weird lines.

Run Prime95 24hours straight? Or can I just run it a few hours here and there to make up 24hours? I have had 2 bluescreen crashes whilst running it (both saying different things) but might that be the result of running prime whilst working on it the same time? Either way it hasn't said it's failed like it did one time on a test.

We're talking 3dMark05 and same test conditions.

lol no you can't run it and total the hours, you could run it in 30 mins segments 48 times and what would that prove? Nothing.

+12 hours straight and it's pretty much stable, I thought you had said you already ran it 24 hours.

From the sounds of it, your system is far from stable.

And 30 points in 3dmark05 is still nothing to worry about, your score will always fluctuate.

A stable system should be able to withstand prime95 even while working on it. Theres people on xtreme who run 3dmark looping while letting prime95 run, I've even heard of some running two instances of prime95 simultaneously.

If your getting blue screen crashes your system is REALLY unstable

Okay, okay I'll stop cutting corners and run it 24hours!!! Just another 17hours :(

I'm very tempted to buy the Arctic NV Silencer 5, is a 6800gt ultra a OC'd GT with better cooling?

some brands like eVGA put the same cooling on both the GT and the Ultra. The differences are the 2nd molex connector for the ultra, .1 higher voltage for the gpu core and things like that. That basically means it'll be more stable at that supplied voltage and with two power sources will be able to retain higher clocks easier, mind you for that to happen it'd have to be significantly cooled

Do you reckon I should get the silencer? I'm kinda closish to ultra clock speeds but anyfurther I get white sports and weird lines on 3dMark05. I'm riding at 405/1061 stable at the mo.

Got a blue screen crash on Prime95, probably 12ish hours into it... I'm guessing definitely not stable cause it wouldn't boot into Windows afterwards. So I've reset the settings and start over but take it slower, only raise the voltage if I can't get into Windows?

are you overclocking your RAM too or what? You need to not overclock your RAM until you got your CPU under control. You need to raise your vcore about .5 above stock, and then slowly move your CPU from it's stock clock speed. Run Prime95 and when it fails within 5 minutes raise the vcore more, you shouldn't even get blue screen crashes if you do that process.

Your GT should hit Ultra speeds on stock cooling so I'd assume you just got a card that isn't going to go very far. NVSilencer would definitely help, but don't expect miracles honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom