Need to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewhohasissues

In Runtime
Well I've built my computer and all is working fine (except the occasional freezing at the boot up screen) and I've been wearing in the hardware with some gaming.

I want to overclock my XFX 6800gt to ultra speeds, I downloaded rivertuner (I think it was) and couldn't figure out how to use the thing, there was no instructions and I tried googling it, help?

Also I got a DFI SLI-DR Lanparty and a 3200 but on the bios I can't find anything like the CPU FSB speeds or anything about OCing, anyone know how to?

Corsair Twin X (2x512mb) it wouldn't let me install XP in dual channel mode either, but it's working fine now.

Essentially I want to overclock as much as I can get outa my system at the moment here some details of temp:

XFX 6800gt under heavy load:

GPU Core 70c ish
Ambient 48c

3200, stable:

37c core (That a little high with anetc silver and Zalman CNPS7000B heatsink?)

Case:

24c ish by drive bays

This was my first built and I'm a n00b to overclocking and need pushing in the right direction as in programmes, bios.

RivaTuner there is a button in the bottom drop down menu that looks like a graphics card...this is where you change clock frequencies.

RivaTuner is more advanced so perhaps you should start off with coolbits registry.

Google 'coolbits' download it, double click it and it'll put it in the registry and move up them sliders

Okay cool thanks I got, just another quick question... Is OCing a Graphics Card like a CPU, raise a little at a time and check stablity or should I go wild and raise them dials to ultra speeds?

all overclocking is the same. Increments is the only way to go. But with graphics cards, just keep raising it until it fails the test (there is a button that says 'test' in both coolbits and rivatuner, so if it doesn't pass this little 5 second test it wont let you set those speeds) When it does fail that test back it down by about 10MHz on both core and memory and run 3dmark05 and see if it artifacts or otherwise doesn't perform smoothly. Also use RivaTuner hardware monitor, make sure it stays open while you run the test so you can watch your temperature as that monitor when you hold your mouse over a part of it will show you how hot it got at what time, so you'll be able to see how the temps rose and fell during the testing.

I can run 3Dmark05 at ultra clock speeds smoothly but it crashes and I get blue screen if I raise the memory clock to the ultra's.

Temp on the card has only risen by 2c, is this a common problem with memory clocking?

So I've overclocked to Ultra speeds, it's Windows stable, no probs playing City of Heros and Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Still crashing, getting blue screen on 3Dmark05, but I was wondering is that more demanding on the GPU than say game? And would the 3Dmark05 problem be solved by overclocking my CPU? Or won't my XFX6800GT go to ultra speeds?

Just lower it down a bit, your a bit shy of ultra speeds, no biggie.

Overclocking is the luck of the draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom