Need PC3200 RAM to Overclock good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh okay... So youre saying that my pc is good except for my Graphics card... That is true.. but im not sure what graphics card to get and i dont want to spend to much money

yeah if you got a horrible graphics card then get that. But if you have the 2500+ XP chip then you need atleast PC2700 ram so you can get a 1:1 ratio and have them communicating at the same spead. Wouldn't bother buying anymore PC2100

yeah there would be.....the absolute BEST thing to do would be to get PC3200 RAM and make sure you have a good motherboard and overclock that 2500+ XP you have. Its a great chip for overclocking. Default is at 11x166 for 1.83GHz I believe but some people claim on 'stock cooling ' right out of the box they hit 11x200 which I would say they got really lucky. With adequate cooling and an aftermarket heatsink and fan then yeah that'd be absolutely possible to have 11x200. Multiplier will more than likely be locked on your chip. So yeah if you got PC3200 RAM and OC'd your 2500+ to 11x200 = 2.2GHz then your ram would be working at its optimum efficiency cause PC3200 ram is 400MHz, but remember its DOUBLE data rate (DDR) so the 200 you see as your computers FSB you really gotta double when you think about your ram. so if you have 11x200 on your CPU then your ram frequency will need to be 200 which will be default on PC3200 ram.

remember that the lower your timings on the ram are, the better.. I gained like just over 1000 points on A3 by lowering my timings to 2-3-3-5 from 3-4-4-9 or something like that.. I was actually suprised when I found out my ram was running with timings like that, and it's corsair brand..

Okay Nubius, sounds like a good idea, except lol i cant really overclock.. My temperature is at 58 Degrees!! Idle!

nah just bother getting better cooling =) fan in front, but ya gotta make sure it can actually get air through the front...a good fan in the back..side..and top is a good start for cooling. If you got a dremel then you can easily cut the appropriate holes for more fans...thats what I'm gonna do actually...cause yeah before I got ANY case fans and had my comp sitting with side panel open I was at 64C idle...god knows what it was after playing sof2 lol so now I've gone cooling crazy.

Damn dude...You got nearly the same setup as me..I have an athlon xp 2400+ but I got the EXACT same motherboard...I got 768mb of RAM, but a Geforce2MX 32mb card lol cause my fx5700 fried out...I sent it back to the manufacturer....I sure hope they send one back =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom