Need help, upgrading PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need help, upgrading PC

Hi everyone, first post. I seemed it was important to make sure i was getting the right stuff before i paid for anything and you all seem like experts on the stuff. Anyway heres my specs:

Motherboard: MSI (model: ms-6712, chipset: VIA kt400a) And on the box its called KT4AV.

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (1.2ghz) (socket A, Code name Barton)

RAM: DDR-SDRAM 768Mbytes (1x512 Nanya Technology and 1x256 Infineon) PC2700 (166.7 mhz)

Graphics card: Saphire Radeon 9600 atlantis

Sound: Onboard

Now, ive asked somewhere else and have been told that the processor is running a lot slower than usual because of the speed of my RAM. Its decreasing the speed of the FSB (at 100.0mhz and bus speed 200.0mhz). I used cpu-z to find this stuff out, i dont really know a lot.

Now i have a maximum of £100 to spend (give or take £5 you know, £100 is my limit i would prefer to stick to) Anyway ive been told that i should replace all of my RAM with completely new 1gb stuff. Of the pc3200 variety. Someone advised i get Crucial Ballistix, this would cost me £150. After some discussion with him he said, ok but i should only be considering RAM with CAS of 2. Now he also said that Value ram etc was rubbish, i was looking at corsair value as it was only £60, this would leave me money for some nice headphones.

Basically i want to know what RAM you think i should get? I dont intend on overclocking atall, and the main thing i do is play games. (This minor upgrade is just a stopgap until i build a new system). Ill repeat im in the UK, so no newegg please. newegg is cheap.

Also if i have enough money left i am also trying to buy a new headset with microphone so any help there would be appreciated as well. (USB prefferably, although it doesnt matter really)

Anyway sorry for the long post. Thanks a lot in advance.

Just thought of another question, can i put this RAM in dual channel mode on my motherboard?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=66689

That is some of the stuff i am looking at.

Although just reading through my Motherboard instruction manual i noticed this 'Please not that the mainboard supports only one DDR400 DIMM' does that mean i can only have one stick in there if i want it to run at pc3200 ddr400?

Im so confused.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to damasta55r

Cheaper to just get a new pc. The emachines t6212.

damasta55r-Cnet forum Computing.net techist.com Computerhelpforum.org

ASPIRE ATXB4KLW-AL Antec 400W
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 3700+ San Diego
Corsair 1GB 2x512
eVGA 6600GT
250GB Hard Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy
Windows XP HOME W/SP2
Old 06-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Yea OCZ memory is pretty good
Old 06-12-2005, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

ahhh crap so many virgin techies
Old 06-12-2005, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by mayesey
[url]
Although just reading through my Motherboard instruction manual i noticed this 'Please not that the mainboard supports only one DDR400 DIMM' does that mean i can only have one stick in there if i want it to run at pc3200 ddr400?

Ok but what about that though? I dont want to buy 2 sticks and then have them work at slower speeds.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

So just buy 1 stick of 400ddr ram. WOn't be that much more expensive, especially if you just buy a generic brand. Generic brand aren't that bad, if ddr400 is all you want.
So basically cas of 2 does not warrent the extra money if you aren't the extremly picky type. Just buy the cheap stuff. Your friend is probably either a mad overclocker, or just doesn't know what he is doing.

Closed Thread