Need help with overclocking (Im a noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elax75

Beta member
Ok so I just got a computer froma guy and he told me that it would be a great gaming computer. its a dell 490 precision 490 workstation, I upgraded the graphics card to a Nvidia 9800 GT and it has 4 gigs of ram an intel xeon quad core processor and windows 7 32-bit os (yes I know I need to upgrade to windows 7 64-bit but I cant get a disc, Im still searching)
When I play black ops, medal of honor and other games they run great on my 24 inch monitor full specs and everything. now when I put crysis warhead in it only plays it on gamer and the framerate is at about 22fps when during combat which is real laggy.

When I got this computer and upgraded to the 9800 gt I thought it would be able to run crysis at full specs and its barely able to do half!

Here is my question>>>>>>>>>>> should I go spend a rediculous amount of money on a better card like the gtx 420 which is like almost $300?
or would it be possible to overclock the card in order to get more performance out of it?
If anyone could help me with this it would be great. if overclocking is an option then could someone please tell me some good overclocking software and exactly how to do it? sorry I know Im asking a lot but it would help me a lot.

I just want to be able to run crysis at full full specs with out a problem

Cyrisis is the hardest gAME to run. Not even a great system can run it well.

Btw a 9800, was a top card, but has become a bit further down the ladder

I assume you mean a gtx 460.. but its not 300... a 470 is... 460 is only 200 or less.

You can try overclocking it... bugt it won't be huge.
Use evga precision... |MG| EVGA Precision 2.0.2 Download Take it in 30mhz jumps, watch your heat...

What is your cpu speed?

My cpu speed is 2.66Ghz and remember its a quad core. also when I do the jumps of 30mhz what settings should I be changing when doing this? all of them in 30mhz jumps?

Okay... some Xeons are low clocked... its a server chip..

The shaders and core are linked, so they will move together. So initially you bump both mem and core/shader. When you get to a unstable setting, you back both off then try each up one at a time. Then unlink the core/shadder and tune them.

My 8800 can run 750/1780/1250 i believe, but i have a aftermarket cooler. I suggest starting at the highest factory overclock you can find.

Go slow, and keep temps under 80 to be really safe. I'd also manually set your fan at 70 or 75%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom