Need Help Overclocking E2180 Further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdgord

Beta member
I just bought a ThermalTake Big Typhoon heatsink/fan and now I plan to overclock my E2180 2.0GHz that is currently OC to 2.9GHz a little further to about 3.4GHz'ish.

I have a Gigabyte P-35 Mobo and have been told that it should be stable at 3.4GHz. Also...I changed some setting on my Ram when I originally overclocked my rig...and when I got my Big Typhoon I also got two more 1GB stick of OCZ Platinum ram. I am gonna post some screen shots from cpuz so you can see what I have done.

CPUandRam.jpg

memoryandSPD.jpg

^ all 4 slots have 1 GB sticks of the same ram in them...and all have the same numbers in the SPD.

I have a ATI Radeon HD 3850 Vid card.

I appreciate any help I can get...I went to PM the guy who helped me months ago and found I wasnt allowed to PM anymore. And since I dont really know too much of what I am doing and am kinda new to all this I figured asking for help was better than screwing things up.

If anyone sees anything else that I could do to improve my system performance in the cpuz images that would be greatly appreciated. Like OC my Vid Card or Ram or something...I am using this computer to play Age of Conan when it comes out in a week...so any juice I can get outta it would help that much more.

thanks alot everyone!

any questions you have I will answer as soon as I can.

Do you know what the VID is on your chip? You can find it by using Coretemp. A couple of members on here including myself have had trouble getting stable beyond 2.9 w/out insane amounts of voltage. Since you have 4gb of ram now it will be harder to oc the ram. It also puts more stress on your Northbridge which sometimes can require additional voltage just to run 4 sticks at 800mhz which in turn will hurt your CPU oc. 1066mhz seems to be fine when running 4 sticks but anything after that seems hard to get stable. Just oc like you've been doing.

haha. what are the chances.

you were the guy who I was trying to PM who helped me months ago.

Everything I have done you told me to do so I am glad I got you.

my VID is 1.3000v

core.jpg

I know XP doesnt support 4GB...so should I remove the 4th 1GB stick and just go with 3GB overall? would that make things better?

I have been running Prime95 for over 2 hours...and havent gotten above 42 Celcius for more than 1 tick. Hovering around 37. and since I just instaled the heatsink/fan the thermal paste is still getting its spread on. I have noticed a slow decrease in temps over time.

But if you say that I cant get it stable over 2.9GHz then I trust you. But if there is anything else I could do to improve my performance it'd be great.

Thanks alot again.

lol thats funny. You have to go to member search and look for me and then PM me from there. I'm not saying you can't get it stable. I was just informing you the trouble that I had w/ it. You have a better VID than I do so you should be able to get it higher. Taking out 1 stick will result in your ram not running in dual channel mode anymore. I'm running 4gb on vista 64 and I love it. Everything loads faster. What vcore are you running right now? Just keep upping the FSB like before. If it's unstable just add some vcore and NB voltage because of the 4 sticks of ram. I underclock my ram and try to find the max on my cpu. Then go back and try to max my ram. After that I'll try to find the happy median between ram and cpu. Is that cpuz screenshot w/ 4 slots populated running 928mhz?

I am not sure about alot of the stuff you asked. but i will try to answer.

the vcore I am not sure of...and am not quite sure about messing around in my BIOS because everything I did last time you pretty much walked me through haha. So i dont claim to have any experience in it at all. and to be honest...dont remember much of what I did. I just changed what you told me to and it all worked great. I just remembered you mentioned it maybe being able to be OC'd further when I mentioned that I would be getting some kinda PCU cooling. thats why i came back here...i just got my package and installed today.

And the last question...about the 928mhz. If you were talking about the Memory page of the cpuz. Then it says I am running at 464.0 MHz.

yes is that 464 w/ all 4 slots populated? Vcore is voltage. Once your OC becomes unstable you would want to up the Cpu Vcore to stabilize it.

Like I said it is harder to oc 4gb of ram so when ocing the cpu watch the ram as that can have something to do if it becomes unstable. Best thing to do is oc the cpu by itself w/ the ram underclocked or as close to 400mhz as possible. Keep adding CPU vcore if it becomes unstable. Stop around 1.5v

not sure how to do that....if i leave it how it is will it run well? or is there something I should change to optimize the ram?

If it will run fine and I dont have anything set up so that its actualy hurting my performance I guess I can just leave it as is. I really am not sure how to do alot of the stuff you recommend and dont wanna break anything haha.

everything looks fine. Your ram is @ 928 mhz w/ 5-5-5-15. You could try lowering the timings but I suggest you read more before doing that. Read some more because it looks like your Cpu should be able to oc alot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom