Need help on New comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droot

Baseband Member
Ok i need some help putting together a decent gaming system for My brother. He dosent game all the time but needs something that can play some games every now and then. Also i am trying to keep the cost at a min.

Was wondering if i can reuse his Amd xp 2200 ~1.8 GHZ (is it worth it to keep or get a new one?)

I need the following:
Case with a decent PSU
Memory about 512MB should do it
Motherboard
Videocard (nothing too fancy prefer under $150 USD)
CDRW (no need for dvd burner)
and if i dont reuse the AMD 2200 ill need a different processor

Thanks
-Droot

This is what you could do, depending on your budget.

an Radeon 9800pro (150-200)
1 gb of ram
3ghz amd cpu
120 or 160 gb hard drive
cdrw anything you find

AND_YOU_ARE said:
This is what you could do, depending on your budget.

an Radeon 9800pro (150-200)
1 gb of ram
3ghz amd cpu
120 or 160 gb hard drive
cdrw anything you find

They do not make AMD 3ghz CPU's. For light gaming the 2200+ will run fine. But if he is running newer games you might consider upgrading for the overhead and the extra cache on the chip.

He will most likely need PC3200 RAM, but 1GB is a lil' much for the light gamer (he did not specify a newer game so i'm guessing CS style graphics) 512MB should do fine if you think it's enough.

Again with the HD...120GB is way too much for a light gamer unless he also burn's DVD''s to his HD, has a library (huge) of mp3's, is running a number of large scale apps. an 80GB drive should be plenty even for the hardcore gamer with lots of games installed.

i think the 9800pro is a fine card, good call on that one.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
the equivlant to a 3ghz cpu, i thought most people would make the connection to the Athlon 3000+

ah ok i see what you mean, i read it literally.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
Hard drives are cheap today so it wouldnt hurt to go with something a little larger looking to the future.

yah i see what you mean there too. but because he did not list a budget, and he said he wanted a "light gaming machine" i figured his budget would be ~$500. And a $120GB 72K 8MB drive is easily a good chunk of that. If he can get the basic CPU, MOBO, RAM, Vid card...and still has enough for the 120GB then yah he can get it...it will keep him with alot of overhead space.

LOL yeah me to. Yeah saying 3ghz is wrong. 3000+ is just the name of the processor, not the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom