Need help cooling a XPS 420 (And possibly upgrading power supply) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Need help cooling a XPS 420 (And possibly upgrading power supply)

that's a pretty good deal actually seeing as how you don't pay jack squat..

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
that's a pretty good deal actually seeing as how you don't pay jack squat..
You pay for it when you buy the system.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

yeah but still.. I'm sure the cost of the parts that he's receiving is a huge portion of what he paid for it..
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
woah, they send a technician out to you? I'm so confused
Yes. He comes with the parts you need replaced, and replaces em for you.

I actually think this is flippin sweet, much better than shipping the PC off and waiting for it at some shop to be fixed.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
You pay for it when you buy the system.
I dunno..after this I will have gotten a replacement HDD (the first one I had made a clicking noise, called em up and they sent out a new one), Nvidia 8800GT video card, motherboard and an upgraded power supply....thats gotta add up pretty steep and I'd be willing to bet any ammount of money that all this = much more bang for the buck than building your own pc and having to pay up yourself for the fixes.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foote View Post
I dunno..after this I will have gotten a replacement HDD (the first one I had made a clicking noise, called em up and they sent out a new one), Nvidia 8800GT video card, motherboard and an upgraded power supply....thats gotta add up pretty steep and I'd be willing to bet any ammount of money that all this = much more bang for the buck than building your own pc and having to pay up yourself for the fixes.
The thing is, all parts sold have their own warranties from the manufacturer and would be replaced free of charge if they ever broke.

Besides, who's to say everything they're replacing is actually bad? If you computer ran then I highly doubt the power supply, motherboard, and graphics card were all bad.

Sounds to me like a classic tech support ID-10-T error in not being able to figure out what the actual problem was.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Patron

When I bought my pc and built it myself dell uk was asking 3 tines the amount for a comparable pc building is better imo . I have also spent around £700 improving my pc and will drop an extra £600 come easter. Not to mention the unlocked bias which lets me get a cpu for half the cost at twice the speed then stock.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I got a huge discount that saved me $200 through dell because I am a memeber of Phi Theta Kappa's Honorary Society.

I looked into building my own using many different sites, and no matter what I tried I couldn't get one for the same price or lower, At that time (if I ordered the same build today, it'd be a good bit cheaper ).

So I was happy with this purchase..and even to this day I keep thanking myself for going with Dell, for example like this situation. Super sweet!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I'm pretty sure onsite is only available via a very expensive service plan? XPS or not.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm pretty sure onsite is only available via a very expensive service plan? XPS or not.
It came with the setup I got by default, 1 year. Then...you can extend it for extra...but the price of it per year is way less than how much I've gotten out of them for it.

Closed Thread