Need help building a laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need help building a laptop

Im lookin to buy a laptop real soon but im unsure on what brand to go with and what features. I do a lot of downloading and streaming. I have a ton of music that i usually keep on my computer, i want to be able to play games on my computer perhaps even doom 3. I dont want to spend a ton of cash on it lookin somewhere in and around 2500 give or take a few bucks. I need to also be able to do school work and i want a processor that is very fast and powerful and i want to be able to have my laptop wireless and portable. So please help me out and also list the parts you would get in the computer and the specs thank you

Old 11-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well first of all. If you want wireless internet on a laptop you cant have a powerful processor. If you do i would go with the only Intel wireless prcoessor. Intel Centrenio. Its also good on battery power.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

Quote:
Originally posted by Codeine
Well first of all. If you want wireless internet on a laptop you cant have a powerful processor.

Why not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Codeine If you do i would go with the only Intel wireless prcoessor. Intel Centrenio. Its also good on battery power.
By "good" you mean what? how many hours?

I would personally go with this...what's your budget?
http://www.emachines.com/products/pr...Machines_M6811
Got nice features.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah that system looks sweet, by the way what do you mean the only true wireless processor is the centrino, there not very powerful at all!!! I would definitely go with amd, my bro has got a laptop with an amd 64 bit 3000+ it's awesome!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i like the link that 4w4k3 gave, it seems like a powerful system only problem i see is the graphics... look for a system with geforce 6800 go, it should set the new standard for mobile power... however the lowest system i have seen personally that has it is 3000$, so you would go over budget considerably... however you can buy that other and also look to buy your own 6800 go, im not too informed on mobile stuff.

The World is my trashcan and i intend to fill it...
Old 11-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
dk
Junior Techie

I have a Hypersonic-PC GX6 Sonic Aviator that I'm very happy with. It has a P4 3.06Ghz processor in it and can be configured with wireless - I just got a wireless router though so just put in the adapter, which is no big deal. It can run basically anything (though it gets hot) with the Mobility Radeon 9000 in it. Plus it has a very cool metallic red paint job All told it was over your $2500 limit, though I did get some extras like XP Pro and Office installed. You can check their site, though, http://www.hypersonic-pc.com. They might be offering different customizations now. Be forewarned, though, it is big and heavy and sucks the battery dry pretty quick!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

right now im on a pentium 3.06ghz also, with a geforce5200go, 512mb of RAM, and built in 802.11g wireless... it only cost 1800$ but it is an hp, so if you got a problem with them then i suggest going elsewhere but it runs everything ok, not truly for gaming however, with a better graphics card it would run pretty damn fine, maybe a geforce 6800go, i do believe it has swappable video not completely sure however.

The World is my trashcan and i intend to fill it...
Old 11-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

This one is nice http://alienware.com/product_detail_...de=SKU-DEFAULT
It's a gaming laptop thats under your budget.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

i'd go with that emachines and if you REALLY want the 6800go, just sell the installed card and see if the 6800go will fit in the lapotop. i think it would as emachines are pretty compatible...but make sure b4 u sell the first card lol.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nvidia fan boy

I recently got this one and its about 2800$. I love alienware but my desktop is Voodoo. idk i like them both but this laptop almost runs as good as my desktop.
http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...de=SKU-DEFAULT
sorry mine cost a little over 3g but what can you say?

Closed Thread