need help with bios question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk1045

In Runtime
I am a rookie when it comes to anything like this. What I am looking to do is get the best performance out of the computer I have, without having to go and buy upgrades. I wanted to go into my bios and make sure my ram was working at peak performance. However when I went in to check it will not allow me to look at the ram at all. The information is grayed out. I have Windows 7 OS, 3GB DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400/800Mhz, Motherboard nVidia MCP61 Bios version string 5.52, Amd Athlon ll X2 215 processor.

What I want to do is get peak performance. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all

Is your computer a prebuilt, such as HP, Dell, Acer, etc? If so then your BIOS is crippled and you won't have those options available.

Welcome to Tech-Forums, mattk!!!

Does this computer you have happen to be a retail/pre-built? If so, I'm afraid you'll not be able to tweak any extra performance because retailers such as Dell, HP, etc. lock the BIOS to prevent any tweaking within.

*edit*
Ah, Trotter by a hair!!

Not really, mate. You are pretty much stuck with stock as far as CPU and RAM go. You can overclock a graphics card in one, but that's about it.

This is the same board as mine and your aunt's trotter.
There is a way around this and to work on your timings inside windows
Try Evga precision or Nvidia Ntune thats what I did to oc my ram

Thanks for all the replys.

Thanks Abstract Hero. Can you give me some steps to follow or what I shouldn't do? Again i'm new and would hate to ruin my comp

Thanks for all the replys.

Thanks Abstract Hero. Can you give me some steps to follow or what I shouldn't do? Again i'm new and would hate to ruin my comp

Well I used nTune and it has a tuning mode where it oc's your equipment (PCI bus, ram, cpu) to a stable overclock without increasing to insane voltages. Basically it takes the wheel and figures out the fastest your PC will go while staying stable. It's what I used and it worked very well for me. All you have to do is set what you want OC'd, save it after it's finished, and than tell it when to open the OC'd settings. It's pretty self explanatory. Just remember the more time you give it to overclock the more stable the PC and the better the tunings.

You could OC it on your own through the control panel but I would ask someone (Slaymate haha) for help with that as I'm still learning.

Thanks again abstract hero. Do you know where to get the nvidia ntune software for windows 7? I found it for all the previous versions but not for 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom