Need help with 1st Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bparker333

Solid State Member
I need a CPU and want to build it myself. I have read on the boards that if you use and IDE HD and a fast processor that may cause a bottle neck, is this true?. The HD i'm getting has a 8mb buffer. Thanks for the help.

ASPIRE X-Dreamer II Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply

GIGABYTE i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "GA-8PENXP"
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4 Processors
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 6x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 133 RAID,2x UltraDMA 100 up to 8 Devices
Slots: 1xAGP Pro 8X,5xPCI(PCI 2.3),1xDPS
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xLPT,2xCOM,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),2xIEEE 1394,Audio ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC655 6-Channel CODEC
Onboard LAN: Intel PRO/1000 CT Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2 x SATA 150 by Silicon Image Sil3112A
Onboard 1394: 2 Ports by TI TSB43AB23
Form Factor: ATX

ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV
Out, 8X AGP

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive

NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Bottlenecking is created when you have an unbalance of hardware. It would be like putting a 9800 XT on a p1 166mhz computer. Even though the 9800XT is far superior and the best thing out, it would not even run close to how it should because the CPU would not be able to keep up and would cause a bottleneck.

So basically it occurs when something that is being slowed down or not used to its potential because of another piece of hardware. So if you had a top of the line computer with only 64mb of RAM, your entire system would be bottlenecked by the low amount of memory.

Bottle necking...

For those of you who don't understand this concept, (although its self explanitory) is the fact that a component sends data faster then another component may handle. This slows performance and eats up memory in some cases.

Anyways, if ya don't have much cash, you should buy a raptor, and maybe a second with a RAID 0 configuration.

But, if you DO have the cash, and you want games to load quickly, you should get a SCSI card, and a SCSI harddrive, an expensive combination non-theless. Personally, i'm not a fan of PCI cards, but its manditory because most motherboards don't include SCSI. SCSI I think isnt destined to live much longer, just because its basically IDE with added pins and voltage, I think SATA will lead the way. I myself am poor and have never tried SCSI, so your on your own, unless you know someone.

I don't think you should worry about bottle necking with a hard drive, unless you have massive load transfers and wish to cut loading times down. However, since you have a high end graphics card, a SCSI card might bog down graphics performance, just because a majority of your bus is used up by the Video Card/(Sometimes Gigabit Ethernet, but not usually, just because basic throughput doesn't really ever near 1GBPS.)

bparker333 said:
I need a CPU and want to build it myself. I have read on the boards that if you use and IDE HD and a fast processor that may cause a bottle neck, is this true?. The HD i'm getting has a 8mb buffer. Thanks for the help.

GIGABYTE i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "GA-8PENXP"
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4 Processors
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 6x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 133 RAID,2x UltraDMA 100 up to 8 Devices
Slots: 1xAGP Pro 8X,5xPCI(PCI 2.3),1xDPS
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xLPT,2xCOM,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),2xIEEE 1394,Audio ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC655 6-Channel CODEC
Onboard LAN: Intel PRO/1000 CT Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2 x SATA 150 by Silicon Image Sil3112A
Onboard 1394: 2 Ports by TI TSB43AB23
Form Factor: ATX

ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV
Out, 8X AGP

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive

NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Constructive criticism:
CPU means central processing unit, you dont want to build a cpu, you meant pc. Just wanted to clear that too often made mistake up...

bparker333 said:

Not sure if this matters to you or not but, I bought an Aspire Power Supply; works fine but is LOUD AS HELL! My box sound like a Jumbo fu*king jet. Not to mention I had to bend the metal shelf the power supply slides onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom