Need cooling Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaiian style

In Runtime
I need some way to help my computer not over heat.
I have 9 fans, a regular fan i bought from wal-mart and it still gets hot.

Is there a secret to help it not get super hot, or atleast pro-long the heating? please let me know

For starters, with air cooling, the rule of thumb is that you will *NEVER* get the CPU temps down to ambient room temp.

Going on, the NUMBER of fans doesn't really matter. If you have 9 fans that push little air, then it isn't going to help much. I have read that the best thing to do for airflow if to match the intake and exhaust CFM.

Little side things to help a little bit would be clean the dust out of the fans and out of the case, also try to make the cables neat and tucked out of the way in the case so as to make for better air-flow.

That being said, what specifically are you running, and what temps are you seeing that you consider it to be over heating?

Seeing that you are using a walmart fan, I can infer that the case cover is off, and the innerds are covered in dust.

EDIT:
Here is some reading for you...
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88167
/EDIT

The key to good cooling isn't having more fans, it's having them placed correctly.

For example, you could put 20 fans in your case but if they are all poorly configured then it won't do you any good.

You want fresh air coming in and moving across the components, then quickly exiting the case. If you have warm air circulating inside the case then it's only going to make parts hotter.

With that said, make all your front and sidepanel fans intake, and rear and top fans exhaust. Remember that hot air rises, so if at all possible, keep the intake fans lower than the exhaust fans.

Also note that you need quality fans. Anything under 30 CFM is a waste of plastic. You want 50CFM+ and then you have some decent fans. If you have 120mm fan spots available, you can get 100+ CFM 120mm fans.

Also keep the dust out of your fans and components. Some people recommend fan filters to keep the dust out. Personally, I don't like fan filters because they hinder air flow....but if dust is a big problem in your area, then maybe you should try them.

Good wire management helps also. If you have tons of wires and cables in the way, then your airflow is going to get *stuck* on it, and not move freely within the case.

If specific parts are too hot (like your CPU, graphics card, etc) then maybe you should get some Arctic Silver 5, and a better heatsink.

Good luck. :)

Usually fans come marked with arrows showing the direction of the flow of air. Check on all the sides.

um..... if you want to change the direction the fan blows, take it off the case, and flip it 180*, and re-attach it....

Well if its your CPU thats overheating get a Zalman... They are brilliant, i got my temps from about 50 - 60 C to 30 - 40 C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom