Need advice from an old timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
Everyone knows about Puddle's and myself's plan for the best OC ever. Unfortunately neither of us have any expereince with the Pentium 4. I have worked on K8, Core2, P2, and P3, but never P4. Is there anyone out there who has a good deal of prescott/cedar mill overclocking and cna impart wisdom upon us? We need to know about general quirks, what the weaknesses are, tricks, generally anything that our prior knowledge has not prepared us for.

lol, there aren't really many quirks... the reason why people got such insane clocks on P4's was generally because the world records are set on Phase...

they are still fine overclockers generally speaking with lesser cooling methods

Well with P4's you have high Multiplier's, that's a good plus, and if you're really interested in having 1:1 D:RAM to FSB Ratio's its quite easy on P4's to overclock like mad, but heat was more of its limiting factor.. However with extreme cooling that's no longer an issue

we are talking LN2.

It looks like cedar mills are hard to find. I may have to use a prescott after all. technically speaking they are very similar, cedar mills are just 65nm.

I don't know if anyone remembers my old sig (over a year and a half now so probably not) but I had a 3.0GHz Prescott and got it to 4.4GHz stable on a lapped Zalman Fatal1ty with AS5. Wish I could have afforded a Phase system then because that little guy just flew.

Should be easy for you to get the right Prescott and go way over mine with some LN2. And like vern said: they love running with a 1 to 1 ratio.

do you know how to properly insulate a mobo?!?!

and ln2 is expensiveeee!!! gonna need a couple litres to run some benchmarks on a hot p4!

LN2 is about 20 cents per liter here. I can buy it straight from the chemistry department and I live on campus. So we only get it when we need it and storage isn't an issue.

I've been doing research on how to properly us LN2. Every instance of it that I have seen involves making a heatsink with a large bore pipe on top to pour the LN2 into, they always wrap a towel or slide a pvc pipe over it to insulate it but that's about it. I'm not worried about pushing my mobo, I have a Biostar TP45 which can easily go above 600mhz fsb. The world record was on 534mhz. I either get a higher multi P4 or a higher fsb or both. I'm most worried about the processor, if it can handle it. And It's to tell if the ones they are selling online have good VIDs. If anyone has a prescott or cedar mill that they can part will I will buy it off of you.

Go for the higher multi with that much LN2. I have a client with a 3.8GHz stock Prescott that I can ask if they would like to sell. They wanted a newer C2D anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom