Need Advice for building a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olan1Durai

Baseband Member
I have a $3500 limit, and would like to build my own pc. I would like some advice on pretty much everything, from the place to buy parts (I have done newegg, though I see cheaper parts elsewhere, though I do not know how reliable they are) As well as the parts themselves...

I have two... quirks... one is that I want AMD, the other is that I want ATI. Ohh, and the case just has to be "decent" looking, nothing flashy, I suppose it is what is on the inside that counts.

I guess for now I will continue to root around NewEgg.com and maybe that zipzoomfly place.. and start compiling a list

Thanks for any help,
Olan

Well... I suppose the question was too broad...

Alright, here's a few..

I am planning on getting an FX-55, what sort of MoBo do I want?

Also, is there any particular benefits of the... third party Graphics cards... such as the ASUS Radeon X850 XT? Is there any significant difference between that one and the regular ATI version?

Hrmm... I will ask more questions as they come...

Yes are you looking to get a HIGH END system ? or just a good system ? and what would you do with it ?

Ahh, high end system.. Gaming is what I will do, mostly. Sorry, heh, kind of don't really know what to tell you... here is a little list that I made in the last 3 hours...

Processor: AMD FX-55
VPU: ATI Radeon X850 XT
HD: 2x Western Digital Raptor 73GB in Raid 0
Sound Card: Audigy 2Z Gamer
Optical Drive: Lite On 16x Dual Layer DVD +/-RW
MoBo: ABit "AX8" or "AV8"... I don't know..
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS 512MB DDR PC-4400

Hrmm... I know the list is incomplete... so... any advice for the other parts would be appreciated.

Wow.. looking at cases at the moment.. the Lian Li cases are rather impressive... unless the pictures are fake and the testimonys false...

Anyway... to add to the list

Monitor: either Samsung Black 19" LCD
or
NEC/Mitsubishi "FE2111SB-BK" 22" CRT

Case: Lian Li ATX Midtower "PC-V1200B"

Ohh, and what kind of power source should I be looking into getting? any suggestions?

First of all, since you are spending all that money, you should look to get the best stuff.

For that, go with nVidias SLI setup.

Second, with all that stuff...shoot for AT LEAST a 500watt with at least 28A on the +12v rail.

Lian Li are awesome.

fx-55 $900
abit fatality mobo $220
1gig ocz ram pc3200 $160
either 2x 6800 ultra's or two x850xt's $1000-$1200
dual raptors $250
audigy 2z gamer $200 really dont need this
lian li tower $200
x-connect $100
17 inch lcd $400
wireless keyboard and mouse $90

total cost $3470
this will own anything

Can you do 2x X850 XT's?... I didn't think ATI had a SLI-type thing yet...

Also... Should I not get the soundcard? Do I not need it so much?... I may want to cut the cost a little bit, just in case I need cables etc.

Heh... also I have a slight disposition against Nvidia... perhaps because the root of their name, invidia, means envy... heh...

I was thinking that the dual Nvidias would take me over my price limit... perhaps not...

Also, where did you find the pricing on those Raptors? Newegg, the prices I found were 470 ish total for retail... and 366 OEM.. then add 20 for the cables...

Thanks, I am starting to get little tinglys all over... this PC will be awesome...

Edit: Also, with the Fatal1ty mobo... could you even SLI with it? It doesn't look like it... hrmm..

right u want amd and ati thats fine, u dont need sli when uve got x850xt pe

i would go for

CPU: fx55
Motherboard: DFI nforce4 ultra
Graphics: MSI, or ATI brand x850XT PE
ram: 1gig of gskill pc4400 2x 512mb
case: any lian li u like the look of.
psu: antec neopower 480w
hard drives: 4x36raptors in raid0 for os and game installs
1 seagate 400gig for storage
monitor: any u like the look of. go for lower response times, around 12ms is decent.
depending how much left get a audigy 2 and sum 7.1 or 5.1 speakers.

think thats about it. newegg is one of the best places around and most ppl who can shop there do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom