need 300mhz for cd burner, but have a 233mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

novatoasv

Solid State Member
hello, in the process of building, from old parts, a 233 for use in converting lp records to cd format. have 128 memory, accer mobo, 2 meg video card, (which worked great at the time) and a decent sound card, 16 bit sound blaster. most newer cd burners require 300 or faster to burn cd's. can you overclock a 233??? if so how do you do it??? doing all the research first. i built this older system about 7 years ago (btw- my 1st build ever, enjoyed it). just want to recycle the old parts and save on the costs. money is tight. any help will be appreciated.

I don't think you will be able to overclock your processor the amount you need to... buy a better processor! A 300MHz whatever it is can't be too expensive

You should try to burn a CD with the 233 and see if it works, if not, then you know you need a better, faster processor. I usually dont trust ebay, but for this sort of thing it's great, just find the cheapest pentium 3, make sure the seller looks reliable and buy that, it will be much better for you in the long run.

i agree, you probably will be fine with your 233Mhz. install the burner & try to burn a CD on that system. if you processor is too slow, buffer underrun or mount ranier should kick in and still let you burn the CD successfully.

I think overclocking that chip 30% isn't even possible, I mean your mobo is so old you might not even be able to change anything for the better. So don't stress out, just do like everyone says, give it a try, if it doesn't work out, goto a local computer store, and see if they have some old 333's or something. Otherwise check random forums to see if anyone is maybe looking to sell an old chip. That's my two cents...

I have converted old vinyl records to Cd on a 233 without any problems at all.My daughter has a 200 with a CD burner and it works without any problems.

hmm.. well i mean if u do wanna get a new processor and mobo, a 1.0 is like how much? 70 dollars now? so it would be good..

I know nero will let you simulate a burn, to see if it will work, do that first, so it can determine maximum speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom