nb heatsink removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
Anyone take it off? I tried lastnite but didn't want to use too much force because I've seen the actual NB chip rip right off the mobo. Need some tips before I go ruin the mobo

edit: Bought a can of Freeze spray to do the job. Too bad I had to order it since I can't find it around here.

I can't tell by your post if you got it off or not, so I'll reply anyway.

Most of the time there are little plastic clips that go through holes on two corners of the chip, which hold the cooler on. Some are just held in with thermal adhesive, it depends on the motherboard/cooler design.

If you have clips, you'll need to take the motherboard out and flip it over, and then push the clips out. It should come right off then, and if it doesn't just twist it a bit.

For the adhesive type, just twist and pull it. I very much doubt you'll pull the chip out, since it's permanently attached. If it doesn't come off, then go do some stress testing to heat it up, and then shut down and quickly remove it.

the nb chip can rip out. I've seen it and its not pretty. I'm using the cold method instead. Its alot easier and won't kill anything on the board. I figured out how to do it, should be a cinch when my freeze spray comes in. Everything is getting replaced on my board w/ Thermalright. From mosfets to SB

This is why i ordered the DFI board that has no nb cooler attached :p With my luck i'd rip the stupid thing off the board trying to remove the cooler.

Saw DFI x38 LT's on ebay being sold for around $150. Ridiculously cheap. Is that the one you have or did you get the DK? I'm awaiting my Thermalright heatsinks to come in before I start building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom