A n00bie overclocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

drworm2005

In Runtime
I've never really done much overclocking but i just have a quick question for you guy's.

I hear alot of ppl saying don't O/C unless you have good ram.

I have no idea if this would be good or not but for example:
My rig:
CPU-166x11.5=1909mhz(stock)
RAM-166mhz in BIOS(DDR400)

I have changed the freq in my bios to run the RAM at 200mhz so now it runs at 400mhz (stock). In CPU-Z it displays CPU 166mhz and RAM 200mhz FSB+33mhz. BUT if i was to O/C my CPU to 200mhz then drop my RAM back to 166mhz wouldn't the RAM still be running at stock therefore it be O.K. to use generic RAM for this O/C.

Hope this makes sense.:confused:

Drworm2005.

if your RAM is PC3200, but you have it underclocked right now to match the FSB of your CPU....why would you lower your RAM if you got your CPU up to 200?

Your CPU would be 2.3GHz at 200FSB and your PC3200 RAM (assuming that's what you got) would be able to run at it's normal speed and you'd be 1:1

the "dont OC without good RAM" rule only applies to systems with PC3200 RAM and a CPU with 200FSB as it is, and then going beyond that

well at the moment i have

CPU-175x11.5=2012mhz(350mhz Bus speed)
RAM-208.3mhz FSB+33mhz (Total 416mhz)

So if i O/C it to 200 it would be

CPU-200x11.5=2300mhz
RAM-233mhz FSB+33mhz (Total 466mhz)

Is this correct/safe.

What i was trying to explain was
CPU-200x11.5=2300mhz
RAM-166mhz FSB+33mhz (Total 398mhz)

Drworm2005.

PS. I wont be doing this until i get my ABIT NF7-S cause if i try to get more than 175mhz FSB i keep on getting HDD corruption.:)

just leave your ram at auto and take your whole FSB and put it at 200 so you will have a 1:1 ratio and your CPU will run at 2.3ghz and your ram will rum at 400mhz which is the norm for pc3200. and your FSB shouldnt bother the HDs at all, well at least it dsoent for me. i have that exact same board (wel lsorta but close enough) and just leave your ram at auto and bump the whole FSb up to 400 so youl be fine. it worx for me and has been ever since i got this thing back a while ago.

PP - You get HD corruption if have a highly unstable OC, mainly from memory errors, I've only had it happen once when I very first learned to OC, and I know the same thing happened to codeine as well.

Drworm - basically what he said is right though....if you have crap RAM you don't want it to go above 200....besides that, with your system theres no point in it...the RAM would just work faster than the CPU which means the RAM would have to wait for the CPU to 'catch up' in a sense, so 1:1 is always best.

Only time you don't need 1:1 is if you have an AMD64 system and your CPU HTT is like 300 but your RAM can only hit 275MHz....in that case, both are so high it really doesn't matter as performance will be good no matter what

oh i didnt know you could get screy HDs from a bad OC. LOl maybe thats why sometimes when i started OCing this thing and didnt know about a ratio that my HDs wouldnt come up.....hmm wierd. learn something new everyday :D

P.P. Mguire said:
just leave your ram at auto and take your whole FSB and put it at 200 so you will have a 1:1 ratio and your CPU will run at 2.3ghz and your ram will rum at 400mhz which is the norm for pc3200. and your FSB shouldnt bother the HDs at all, well at least it dsoent for me. i have that exact same board (wel lsorta but close enough) and just leave your ram at auto and bump the whole FSb up to 400 so youl be fine. it worx for me and has been ever since i got this thing back a while ago.
yea I was going to say this.

I did what you guy's said and pumped the FSB upto 200, set the ram to auto and i have a ratio of 1:1 it now runs at 2.3ghz. I know it's not a problem but on my old board my CPU temp was between 28-30*C at 1.9ghz and on this board it is between 36-38*C. Running at 2.3ghz the temp goes upto 48*C, is this about the same as yours P.P. Mguire???.

I just don't understand how my temps could go up so much just from changing the mobo.

Drworm2005.

Yea thats normal, you should see it after pllaying something like doom3. what kinda cooling are you using? At ful load my temps usually go to 52c 53 somewhere aorund tehre. Thats of course w/ my thermaltake Volcano11 Xasier edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom