My XP 2400+

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorKwin

In Runtime
Alright I just got an Asus A7N8X Socket A mobo for overclocking. So far I can only get to a 150mhz FSB (stable). If I go any higher it isn't stable and sometimes windows messes up and images start to go crazy and stuff. I'm just wondering if there is something I could do ... I have tried messing with my memory timings, increased voltage to the max (1.85) and it's still not stable at anything. What I'm thinking is my PSU because whenever I put some load on my CPU I can here my TT Volcano 12 slowdown a bit. The PSU came with my case and well I know it's crappy (12A on the +12 rail). Is there anything I haven't tried yet? thx:)

Can your board even lock the AGP/PCI bus? If it can't then I'm surprised it even got to 150FSB.

If your RAM is PC3200 you don't need to mess with the RAM timings at all.

My board locks the AGP/PCI buses. I have kingston value ram so I was thinking maybe with a higher fsb I would need looser timings but at 150 they stay at 2 2 2 6 stably.

Yeah but if it's PC3200, 150 is underclocking it, that's not high FSB for that RAM, it's well below normal.

Buuut like you said in the first post, if your PSU only has 12a, that indeed is very crappy. Run prime95 and use motherboard monitor 5 or a program like it to see if your rails drop. If your +12v line is seriously dropping under load then yeah your PSU is the problem, but I'd say it's a good chance regardless that that's the problem being a mere 12a

Wow, once I started the torture test, my fan sounded real slow. I dont' feel safe anymore!!! The +12 rail goes UP to about 13.5 when the test is on. The heck?

lol weird, generally when a PSU gets taxed the rail goes down not up :p

Either the PSU is acting up, or the motherboard is reading wrong. The only way to truly get a precise answer would be of course using a multimeter.

Well since I don't have one of those readily available, I'm going to assume it's the PSU. So now I'm off to buy a real power supply. Hopefully one of the Antec True series.

SHAWN said:
Raidmax is also a good brand when it comes to PSU's

Jesus Christ what the hell are you talking about? The raidmax power supply's that came in our cases are total peices of garbage, and a new one is 10$

I have a bit of electrical background

Oh and about the PSU giving more volts under stress, my friends PC does that too, with my multimeter (good 300$ fluke one) I read 14.5 volts when he enters a game.

And, his CD-RW drive and the new hard drive he got never worked :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom