My XFX HD5770 Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
(THIS IS ALL DONE ON THE STOCK XFX COOLER:big_grin:)
Well i'am pretty new to the whole GPU overclocking buisness but I think I've struck gold ;)
It started at me wondering what the **** ATI Overdrive was. I had a feeling it was to do with OC'ing hence the name "Overdrive". I went in discovering it was an overclock tool and set about changing a few of the settings.

At first i did a very little OC just raising the Core from 850MHz to 890MHz and the Memory from 1200MHz to 1300MHz. At that stage I was pretty happy with what I had achieved, but I had a real urge to go up even more. So to cut a long story short, I ended up pushing the sliders as far as they can go in ATI Overdrive.

This yeilded the need to change the fan speed from 35% to 48% with an idle temp of around 40 degrees celcius. I was happy and left it for a few days. But yet again, that urge came back for more so I went and downloaded MSI Afterburner to push the OC even further. That brings me to my current overclock @ 980MHz Core and 1445 MHz Memory with the fan at 50% and an idle Temp of 42 degrees celcius.

The load Temperature is 62 degrees celcuis in crysis Max details @ 1280x960 with 4x AA. this, I'am very happy with it as Crysis is the most demanding game I own. I really want to push the OC even further but will have to compinsate for it by turning up the fan speed which = more noise.
(REMEMBER, THIS IS ALL DONE ON THE STOCK XFX COOLER:big_grin:) What do you guys think?

Nice OC!

I think that's pretty common for 5770s. And there's quite a few out there hitting the 1000 mark on the core.

The reference coolers of the HD5k series, I've heard they're pretty good, and that there would be no need for an aftermarket. As long as you have adequate cooling within the case.

See if you can hit 1000 core for kicks and giggles. You're so close. 62C is nothing at load for that card. You have plenty headroom.

ATi's are pretty good overclockers, especially the 5xxx series as they are lower power GPU's than most so they have room to go on the stock fan. I have my HD5870 as high as Overdrive allows with 50-55% fan and it never exceeds 60C except for a few times when it got to 61-62 (probably not for long though, F@H runs around 60C). That is 900/1300MHz and is the maximum overclock possible without flashing the BIOS.

ok ive reached 1000MHz on the core and 1500MHZ on the mem with only 1 degree increase in idel temp
gpu.gif

Well i just ran Crysis and after about 10 seconds of play, the screen turned to green bars runing verticly down the screen (not moving). Had to hit the restart button.
Could this be because the GPU did not get enought voltage? i have not altered the voltage, it is @ stock. it went to the "green bars" in a "graphicaly intense" moment in crysis. part of the mountain colapsed and heaps oh dust and wind came flying towards me meaning the gpu was under more load, thus using more power which it did not have cause i did not set the voltage right. Possible?

Most likely that it needs more voltage when you're hitting the 1000 mark. The "green bars" is just a way of saying that it's not stable without more voltage.

What do you recomend changing the voltage to? its default is 1125mv. should i change it to 1137mv? what do you recommend?
Please reply ASAP

I would increase at a very minimal rate. Whatever comes next after 1125mv. But I don't know the safe voltages for the 5770, so don't go too far, as long as your temperatures are within range.

so i just put it up to 1126mv and test, then 1127 - test, 1128 - test, until it no longer unstable?

EDIT:
It wont let me stick it to anything inbetween 1125 and 1137. its like it has certain intervals that it sets to. when i hit apply on 1126 it goes back to 1125 same with 1127, 1128, 1129, 1130, 1131, but when i hit apply on 1132 it jumps to 1137. any ideas?

Thankyou so much for your help so far :)

That is correct. Again, I don't know the max safe voltage of the 5770, so don't go too far. And watch your temps, although your temps according to your previous reports, you should be fine.

Using MSI Afterburner to adjust voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom