My System feels slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

igotyofire

Baseband Member
It is adware and virus free.....is it becuz i have alot of files and programs installed on it, i want a new system that is blazing fast, is it worth upgradeing?

Currently i have a barton 333mhz AMD 2500+
768mb of pc3200 ram(not dual channel)
ATI 9600XT
250gb IDE HD with 8mb buffer/7200rpm and a slave 80gb
a nforce nvidia chipset motherboard

Should i upgrade/build a new computer or just take my old 1800xp and run linux on it? so i can get these lightning speeds im looking for

Pc's always feel like new when you do a format. A new pc won't feel alot faster, unless you are gaming, burning, video editing etc. So in windows, it will be just as fast as mine, if we both do a format (I could do with one too.)

If you can't be bothered to do that, than a defrag will help a little bit.

Your processor is extremely out dated yo. If i were you, i would invest in a new system immediately. If you built a modern system, it would run 10 times faster. Not only do new processors have much more speed, they have Hyperthreading and Hypertransport technology. These are new ways to process data, increasing system speed eminently.

Opps, never mind lol, i had a different processor in mind. Depends what your using the system for. If it just feels to slow, but your aware its functioning just fine. Then its probably time to upgrade.

you really dont need to upgrade, my 2nd system runs on the same processor, and it does fine, i have a 9800 pro in it with 512 MB memory , but ill probably upgrade it somewhat soon. It plays most games ok but sputters with doom 3, so its definitely about what you are using it for.

Before going in for an upgrade you could check your fragmentation levels, coz this can impede the speed of your comp. since you said you have a lot of files and programs installed you could try defragging and see if therez an improvement in the performance.

i sometimes feel the same about my comp. but i supose it depends what you use your rig for. my rig runs games ok and apps are ish (again depends what i run). for bionic (seti) it's not bad, normally a unit every 2 hrs, where as video converting (avi to mpeg) seems to take forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom