My Server Transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have been wanting to do this for awhile, and now, it's finally getting done.

I have a Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX
I previously had it in a Antec P180 Mini, though it was rather space wasting, and it was taking up room anyway.
I did have a Antec Earthwatts 380 on there, which was like a waste, but the smallest, good name PSU I could find.
2 x 640GB independent WD SATA HDDs for storage, a dinky 20GB WD PATA for the OS.
Had 1GB RAM on there too, but this doesn't matter.

So, now, I'm starting to change that for good :p

First thing I did, got a new case for it. The CoolerMaster Elite 100.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 100 RC-100-KKP3-GP Black Steel / Plastic MITX/MATX Slim Case Computer Case Flex ATX 150W, Active PFC Power Supply
I wanted something that is both wall mountable, and small retail space. Has a small 120w PSU as well, perfect, as it produces no more than 50W.
So, I buy it off BST from Aspire.
I only can fit one 3.5" HDD in there, but that would not matter much, as the other drive won't be used. The first one has all movies on it.
Then I needed a Slim DVD, so I buy one off Newegg for $25.

When said and done:
IMG_0054.JPG

Next, I wanted adequate cooling on the lil Atom CPU. So I get a ZALMAN ZM - NBF 47. After a bit of bending, it fits perfectly.
IMG_0069.JPG

Soon, to come, I want this PSU: Logic Supply - Leaders in Mini-ITX & Small Form Factor Solutions
To open up some space in the case. As the current is blocking my PCI port.

Well if he mirrors those 640gig drives for redundancy... i'd have to scold him on the lack of available space to store said material.

I've always used this as a home file server, serving my rig and netbook, my dads rig and laptop, my moms rig and laptop.

Back up every computer of personal data once a month. I also back them up to multiple locations.

Edit:
@King- I could buy 2 x 2.5 drives for that, and have the 2 x 640s in separate or raided externals.

I do it manually, King. To make sure I get everything, even if it is hidden, as my mom's outlook profile.

Yeah no doubt. I like it manually too... just that reassurance. Thats just a lotta different rigs, sounds tedious.

Laptops, I don't have much to worry about. My dad regularly backs his stuff up, i just have to take care of my moms pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom