Is My Ram Overclocked? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

wanna bet on that one?you go ask ram companies why they would sell low latency ram and see a ton of amd user buy it if its no good, of course tighter is better! go to Vr forums and go talk to the world record holder in 3dmark 05 and 03 and u can argue away with him too but he will agree with me that tighter timings DO make a difference and it COULD affect stability but if it passes a super pi 32M test and a prime 95 torture blend test then i gunna say its pretty damn stable and WILL be faster then 3-3-3-8 regardless of what u try and tell me, i build systems all day, i bench them i test them, i aint stupid when it comes to this. Sure the difference isn't awesome! but none the less, tighter the timings the better. Also if it made no difference why would they have a latency test on everest and say LOWER IS BETTER.

EVGA 6800GT @ 440mhz/1.2Ghz(24/7), 451/1.23Ghz (max benchable)
2X80 gig SATA RAID 0 drives
SB Audigy 2 24bit
Black X-Blade Gaming Case
Enermax 460 watt PSU
CPU Cooled By: Thermalright Xp 90 + 92 mm panaflo fan
GPU Cooled By: Arctic Cooling Nv Silencer 5 Rev. 2
Old 09-21-2005, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

does overclocking your ram do a great deal....like can u notice it alot or not really ???

i have 768mb of ram

how far could i over clock that

sorry im new to ram overclocking :P

Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

overclocking your ram does good for games, they will respond better, but we need specs on ur ram before we can tell u wut to run it at.
SB Audigy 2 24bit
Enermax 460 watt PSU
Old 09-21-2005, 02:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Dude...yea tighter timings are better, but they won't help you with overclocking. If your RAM is failing while overclocked, then you need to loosen your timings. If your RAM is stable at tight timings, then yea, more power to ya, but the general rule for overclocking is, if you want your RAM to overclock farther, loosen your timings.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

i already knew that....trust me, but in nubius original posts, he told the guy to turn the timings back to 3-3-3-8 without even have him test them at 2-3-3-6 to see if they worked which was why i said BAD advice. Please read the WHOLE thread before posting...

"You need to leave it at 3-3-3-8 timings and overclock from there.
"

Right there, then he question why he would even tighten them. Well if you read the newegg where he bought the ram it even said it could run those simular timings. 3-3-3-8 is NOT stock for that ram, its what the board set them at by default. Look at the link and see the ram he bought. its NOT value ram...
SB Audigy 2 24bit
Enermax 460 watt PSU
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Lets forget about what Nubius is saying and look at what you're saying.

All you've said is to tighten the timings because it will make games run better. But when overclocking, you set your timings loose and then tighten then.

Have you ever overclocked an AMD system dude?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
wanna bet on that one?you go ask ram companies why they would sell low latency ram and see a ton of amd user buy it if its no good, of course tighter is better!
Yeah I do want to bet on that....cas latency and cycle time offer NO noticeable difference in performance...of COURSE when it comes to world record overclocks you want the tightest you can get for bragging rights, the POINT BEING, that with cycle time and cas latency you will take more of a hit on stability than you will with bandwidth so it's pointless....I'm saying he should go to 3-3-3-8 and go further, and beyond, like I've said twice now "if it works, fine, but if it doesnt you'll know why"

It's not bottom of the barrel valueRAM but it's not 'super overclocking RAM' either...being that the SPD is showing 3-3-3-8 timings for 200MHz regardless of newegg saying '2.5-3-3-6 for AMDs'

Quote:
3-3-3-8 is NOT stock for that ram, its what the board set them at by default.
Then WHY oh WHY would it be in the SPD for the RAM huh? That basically tells the board what to run the RAM at...it's programmed into the RAM itself, that's what the SPD is there for.

Beyond that, as I've again already said, we aren't talking 'world record overclocks' and I'm not arguing that tighter timings aren't better...but this statement:

Quote:
if its stable at 2-3-3-6, leave it, it will be faster in games over 3-3-3-8
is complete nonsense, you'd NEVER tell the difference between those two in your entire life.....the ras to cas and ras precharge, YES effect bandwidth greatly, cas latency and cycle time = Stability with practically NO effect on bandwidth.

Instead of making this useless arguements of "Why do manufacturers sell low latency" ...WHY!? Because with the low latency such as 2-2-2-5 you're guaranteed samsung TCCD chips, or BH5's depending on what brand you get that are MADE to loosen up and overclock high with the exception of BH-5s primarily liking CL2 with voltage....

Quote:
Well if you read the newegg where he bought the ram it even said it could run those simular timings.
Newegg CONSTANTLY has bad information on their website...hell I had to e-mail them and tell them to add 'SS3 instructions' in the capabilities of the venice cores when they first came out...that's pretty stupid to rely on a middle man seller like that for information when the SPD tables will clearly show you otherwise
Old 09-21-2005, 02:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie

dam guys look what i started.... well im running stable at 2-3-3-6

i guys me running at that started a big thing lol

Processor :: AMD Athlon 64bit 4000+ @ 2.6Ghz (Custom Danger Den Water Cooling)
Memory :: 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC4000 @250Mhz (3-3-3-8)
Video :: Evga 7900 GTX 512MB Superclocked 700/1800
Motherboard :: LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
Hard Drive :: 200Gb Western Digital Hardrive
Power Supply :: PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI ready
Case :: Lian Li PC-6070APLUS
Sound Card :: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Old 09-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

The guy that think's that the timings matter soo much must have read corsair's or w/e's guide to timings, where they demonstrate false insane peformance jumps over a slightly tighter timing.

Timings make a bit of a difference, but not a noticeable difference, 10$ says most people couldnt tell the difference between 2-2-2-5 and 3-6-6-22
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

lol. wow i think people are getting angry over a couple of chips on a pcb

Closed Thread