My project, read for details

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
I already biult my computer this summer, and I love it. Ive switched cases once (to the sonata) and thats all. I miss the feeling of building it, tweaking it, and customizing it, and i feel something is empty inside of me beacuse of this lost hobby (I CANT TAKE HAVING TO SURF NCIX.COM AND TIGERDIRECT.CA FOR FUN AND NOT BUY ANYTHING!!)

so...

Over the next, lets say, 8 months I'm going to save up and slowly purchase parts, one by one, until I have everything I need. And for the rest of the time I'll tweak out and mod and have fun with the machine until I'm happy with it (the goal is to exceed mycomputer at stock settings) and then simply use it! =)

My limit (in Canadian dollars) is $800. I dont need optical drives or floppy drives, I have them lying around my closet.

my motherboard: Currently, DFI's Lanparty 250GB with the Nforce3 chipset. I heard this is VERY overclocker friendly.
My processor: Sempron 3100+ Palermo 64bit s754
My ram: The most overclockable valueram I can find, so far its Kingston ValueRAM
My video card: most likely a 6800LE in which ill unlock the pipes to render it a 6800GT, not too sure yet which one, but its gonna get modded

Everything else, this si where I plan to spend the rest of the chunk, besides the machine being tweaked out I plan on making it dead quiet and icy cold too (yeah and overclocked, a big task). But I'm good at modding stuff, and nothing is going to be stock in this machine, from the chipset coolers to the HSF, everything is after market and modded afterwards. No liquid cooling.

I'll have some fun with this, my first purchase hasn't been decided yet, and I plan on building this over a period of time, so theres no rush at all, just something to do on my spare time.

Suggestions are welcome, I wanna know what you guys think of this build, I wanna squeeze more performance from this modded machine then I get out of my stock machine currently. I still dont know which parts to get, everythings going to be cooled to the max though, thats all I can say.

So your saying you don't want to liquid cool this new build? Because that would probably be one of the coolest mods you could do to a case (in my opinion).

1. why are you going to buy a whole new system, why dont you just get water cooling, or OC that thing.

2. lol i always browse newegg and im like WHY CANT I BUY THAT!!

i've got a sempron 2800+ and i can say, they overclock like a performance cpu. apparently my cpu at 2.76Ghz is as fast as a Venice at 2.5Ghz, and its a whole lot cheaper. good choice with the sempron, but you're going to need decent ram, or you'll end up running a really slow divider, and killing a lot of your performance.

really sounds good from what you've said so far ;)

Yeah, I read alot of good reviews about the Sempron being a wicked OC'er. Man you gotta get rid of the Ti4200!! I used to use that on my old pentium4 1.7ghz and it ran halflife2 @ 30fps max haha.

I'm most likely sticking with the 3100+, I think its the best OC to price ratio of them all, but that Sempron 2800+ is an attractive choice too, seeing as how its $40 cheaper for me.

Which core are you using? Palermo or Paris? How much was your RAM? I'm gonna cool my RAM too.

Why not water cooling? Water cooling is too much work, and for little monetary gain, IN MY OPINION. I'm sure everyone here disagrees with me, but I'm very traditional when it comes to PC's and I think fans are the best, when its my machine. I think water cooling is a great thing given the circumstances, but I personally wouldn't use it haha. SO thats why no liquid cooling!!

Anyone know of any value ram thats a great OC? How about the video card? I'm looking to achieve 6600GT performance with a sub $180 price tag (with tweaks that is)

i was reading this forum people got a 3000+ up to like 3.2 and i can only get to 2.5-2.6 and your getting to 2.76 (on a value chip may i say).... ITS SO UNFAIR!

i think Corsair and Geil have the best Valueram, it generally gets higher clocks than other valueram, but it is still valueram, so don't expect anything from it really.

haha, yeah, well it's the luck of the draw, it's not like i have a bucketload of money to spend anyway, so its nice to get something that is awesome thats really cheap.

well the Ti does better than that in HL2 even though its screwed :p so i think yours must have had major issues, or maybe it was the P4 1.7 you had it in :D well i'm just ordering a 6600GT as we speak, so that should come in early next week if not by friday. my ram wasn't cheap, i think it was like.. $265US, But its 24/7 stable 2.5-4-3-7, 305Mhz with 2.9V so its damn nice stuff :) i'm selling it to a friend tomorow though, and getting myself some Geil One-W. basically, just check sig for stuff i'll be doing ;)

cpu core is palermo, 90nm in all its goodness, minus 64bit support and SSE3 instruction set. but still damn nice for a value chip :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom