In Runtime
So I just started overclocking my build:

QQ600 2.4ghz
Tuniq Tower 120
Gigabyte P35-ds3r
Crucial Ballistix 2GB
8800GTX
stock case cooling -Thermaltake Armor

Right now the highest successul clock I've had that didn't BSOD on 3dmark06 was 31.50GHZ (350FSB) at 1.34v

3DMark Score 12127 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 4936 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4906 Marks
CPU Score 4487 Marks
1 - Return to Proxycon 41.684 FPS
2 - Firefly Forest 40.59 FPS
CPU1 - Red Valley 1.464 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 2.2 FPS
1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 45.618 FPS
2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 52.505 FPS

Systemp ~59c
Cputemp ~39c

The rest of my hardware isn't overclocked, I've just been working on the CPU for now...

now it seems when I can get my computer to boot fine at 31.95GHZ (355FSB), then try and run 3dmark06 it'll BSOD in the middle of that, the same goes for (360FSB) 32.40GHZ, along with 32.04GHZ (356FSB, the reason I put this one on here was because I was using incriments of 5 or 10... I didn't know if I could have a FSB that was not)

Either way, I didn't raise my volts up much past 1.35... I might of done 1.36 but that was it once I started to see that my system would BSOD everytime, either upon booting or during benchmarking...

So with what I've got now, is there a way I can actually get it closer if not to 3.2GHZ? Or what's the problem exactly?

from a look at another post, I guess those temps (gathered from bios) maybe a lil toasty too eh?

coretemp is suggesting all four of my cores are running ~55c

I've got my q6600b3 at 356fsb at 1.36 volts. With all the trial and error I've done overclocking this computer I've never had a major problem w/ the bsod only when I tried randomly high fsb #'s, like above 400.
at 3.2 my core idle temps are between 38 and 47. 100% load they all stay below 60.

I do have a different board than you, a cheaper one though I think. are your memory and fsb linked? if so maybe you are oc'ing the memory to much. or maybe the memory volts need to be bumped. I've always bumped my memory volts up to 2.1.

oh my highest 3dmark06
is 12,400 something, but it won't make it official because i have an unrecognized driver

Right now I have it at 356FSB with the lowest 1.36v... it's stable but I'm not 100% load either just yet

I dunno, I had it running... but then I ran a 10 minute stress test by ntune, made it 5 minutes in and BSOD... errror appeared to be something about a driver or another

Underclock your RAM (set the Memory Multiplier to 2 (1:1 ratio) in the BIOS...press Crtl+F1 in the BIOS to expand more memory options), and give the CPU more voltage. You may also want to set the memory overvoltage control at +.2 to set the mem. voltage at 2.00V.

If that doesn't work, try setting the FSB and GMCH overvoltage controls at +.1.

Alright, so CPU is at 356x9FSB (3.2GHZ), I also set the memory voltage to +.2v (2.0v)

I just ran 3dmark06 twice, I could hear the heatsink/fans working hard but! no crash with decent ratings...

I understand clocking my CPU, but I'm not too familiar with the memory or GPU yet... but I'm going to learn/start on those next...

question is, why did I have to mess with the memory to keep my system stable? I makes sense in a foreign type of way, but I don't understand it exactly... I didn't underclock/overclock the memory at all, just turned up the voltage... and that made it stable?

Though if the CPU can be stable under two benchmarks in a row, do you think it's okay to move on to memory next, then the GPU?

Alright, so CPU is at 356x9FSB (3.2GHZ), I also set the memory voltage to +.2v (2.0v)

I just ran 3dmark06 twice, I could hear the heatsink/fans working hard but! no crash with decent ratings...

I understand clocking my CPU, but I'm not too familiar with the memory or GPU yet... but I'm going to learn/start on those next...

question is, why did I have to mess with the memory to keep my system stable? I makes sense in a foreign type of way, but I don't understand it exactly... I didn't underclock/overclock the memory at all, just turned up the voltage... and that made it stable?

Though if the CPU can be stable under two benchmarks in a row, do you think it's okay to move on to memory next, then the GPU?

The memory speed increases as you increase the FSB of the CPU, so by overclocking the CPU, you are really overclocking the memory as well. Did you underclock the RAM like I said? Set it to 2. This will allow you to OC you CPU more, because the CPU won't be restricted by the RAM. The RAM just couldn't run stable at the stock voltage (1.8V), and like CPU voltage, increasing the RAM voltage helps stability.

Generally, the rule is this: Underclock the RAM, OC the CPU to whatever your goal is, THEN, after everything is stable CPU-wise, work on the RAM.

Also, most people recommend running Prime95 or Orthos in excess of 8 hours. While benchmarking is pretty intensive, if you can run a stress test on the CPU/RAM for well over 8 hours, your system is pretty **** stable. For example, I ran Orthos last night and early today for almost 14.5 hours straight...definitely stable.

GPU OCing is really easy, just download ATiTool and slowly increase the sliders and scan for artifacts for about 5-15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom