my new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Geek

In Runtime
well, i just got this baby in today. 6600GT by eVGA. i was wondering if my lack of pc ram and older processor are the cuz of my video lesser quality. im an avid gamer, well, more like hardcore gamer. and most of my time revolves around fps (especially cs: source). i've noticed that my friends 9800pro cards are performing better than this next generation card. does this have to do with the whole ATI vs Nvidia thing. plz help! im tired of getting lagged killed!

A) You should redo your system if you are switching from ATI. Get all the updates you desire (Recommend just about all of them, no opinion on SP2 and won't get into it).

B) Make sure latest AGP driver is installed for you MB.

C) After the above two are completed - then you should install the nVidia Drivers.

download the 66.93 driver i think it is, from nvidia.com ... will fix a few thangs.. u mite try overclockin it a bit too =)

Well if you think it's your RAM or CPU we kind of need to know your system specs :)

Its always best to do a full format when moving from ATI to Nvidia. For some reason you have problems if you don't.

FOr any major hardware change, motherboard, vid card, a format is ALWAYS needed as 9 times out of 10 you will get all sorts of lovely errors especially when going from ATI to nvidia or vice versa

what im running:

P4 2.4 Ghz
512 mb ram
80 gig hd
6600GT (new ^_^!)

i had a previous Nvidia card, my FX5200. well, i wont start building my new computer till this summer, i really needed the video card upgrade. everything has run smoothly and i really dont want to format. but if it comes down to it, i just might have too.

Well if you're simply upgrading an nvidia card from one to another you shouldn't need a format.

What kind of RAM though? PC3200 or what?

Also 512mb is becoming the bare minimum especially for games like HL2 and Doom3. If your riend has more RAM then that could be why his is performing better.

Also a P4 2.4GHz isn't THAT powerful, but still that shouldn't really be severely bottlenecking it.

oc that processor u can probably get her to 2.8 or 3.0 with proper cooling that will help a lot

i looked at the marks for 3dmark05 at tomshardware.com and found my score to be quite the same. they got the benchmark at 2964 while i score a 2885. i find that since im running a P4 2.4 and have 512 ram, while they ran P4 3.2 and 1024 ram, that im substanstially within the range. so i figured that if i up the proscessing speed and got an extra stick of ram, i might be able to pull off better numbers. let me know what u think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom