My mother's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex,
Just because she isn't a gamer doesn't mean that she can't use a sweet computer. She can and will rock and roll with this computer.
Also, even I was only going to spend $700 on this computer, I would always go with AMD. Maybe I'm just a AMD fan boy but as long as I have knowen anything about computers, amd has benchmarked better and have cost way less. (Ran hotter, but that's a small price to pay.

As far as a monitor goes, I'm playing my cards right. This is the only time she is ever going to buy a sweet computer, but when she starts needing stronger glasses she well then buy a "sweet lcd screen." As of right now LCD screens aren't worth it. It would be like buying a dvd burner a year ago. Wait a year or two and LCD will then be a good price.

I showed my mom my plans for the computer so far and she loves it. The Only thing I have to make up my mind on now is what ram to go with.

algu7344
I hope I didn't come off wrong. Thank you for your input. I am grateful for everone who has put in their input here. Everyone has been very nice.

LCD are actually harder on some peoples eyes then a good CRT monitor. I know my mom can't use one cuz' it gives her a headache, on the other hand my dad loves his. CRT will generally give you better image quality unless you buy a REALLY good LCD, cheaper ones have "not-so-good" picture quality.

well as long as you go aperture grille on your CRT it is better than any LCD out now, right? AG monitors use the thin vertical lines attached at top and bottom instead of the shadow masking of older monitors... but the point is you can set the refresh rate higher which will take care of all the headaches that get caused my low-refresh LCD and CRT monitors.

for now all you need is 1 gig of dual channel ddr, corsair may be the best bet . i think most people will agree , more than 2 gig of ddr is a waste because nothing out there needs that much to run like hell on most machines,
i a ram freak and a hard drive nut , the more the better because the 2 of them together = speed.

This is the system todate.
All the parts that I don't list were I'm buying them from, I'm buying from www.infotechnow.com in person. All the parts that I am getting from the net, I am ordering on saterday.
Here is the list:

Mother Board:
MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=0
$141.00

Video Card
MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700LE-TD256" -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-125&depa=0
$123.00

Power Supply
Fortron ATX 530W
$67.99

Modem
Internal V9.2/V.90 PCI Modem
$7.99

Ram(2 Gigs)
pqi TURBO Series Dual Channel Platinum Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-148&depa=1
$250.50
$250.50

Hard Drives
Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATA WD2500JD (OEM)
$154.99
Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATA WD2500JD (OEM)
$154.99

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939 (Retail)
$265.99

PCI Slot Fan
AOC System Blower (Ball Bearing)
$9.99

Case Fans
Crystal Quad-LED Fan (blue)
$9.99
Crystal Quad-LED Fan (blue)
$9.99

DVDRW
LG Electronics DVD+/-RW Beige 16X Mulitformat Drive, Model GSA-4160BI Beige, Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-136-041&depa=1
$87.00

CDRW/DVD(read only on the DVD)
Sony CRX320E 52x24x52x16 CDRW+DVD Combo Black
$49.99

Case:
Scorpio 868W Blue
$65.99

Standard cold cathode Light kit w/dual inverter (blue)
$13.99

Access Bulk Screw Pack
$4.99

Anti-Static Wrist Strap
$4.99

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?id=1003409&refer=pricewatch.com
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ADVANCED DIGITAL VIDEO CONVERTER -
$237.95

Molex Y-Splitter, Male to 2 Female
$1.99
$1.99
$1.99

$1916.8 Before Tax
$2081.65 After Tax

Once again, if anyone knows the awser to my last question about what set of ram is better out of the two that I listed, that would be awesome. Other wise I'm going with the ram on this list.

Once again thank you everyone. You have been awesome.

oldschool said:
Once again, if anyone knows the awser to my last question about what set of ram is better out of the two that I listed, that would be awesome. Other wise I'm going with the ram on this list.

I own the OCZ you linked to, and as of NOW i would have to choose the PQI. It wasn't available when i got my OCZ, but now that it's out i think it performs slightly better.

4W4K3.... you you're awesome.

I'll keep everyone updated, as I belieave I now have piced every part. I'll post pictures and everything.

I might be back to ask quetions on how to set the ram timeing in bios. If it's not easly, like I think it might be.
later

there is onething i will add to this though..dont use an internal modem and go with v.92 external , you can see it working and that can be an addvantage...i use an action tec external with builtin cpu , make for faster on the net etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom