My mother's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FuriousYellow said:
Going the Intel route would not be wise as the new athlon 64s beat the intels even in the multimedia department, plus Intels cost like twice as much and run very hot. AMD is the way to go. Also your 939 board is very future proof, so in a year or two you will be able to pop in a dual core CPU when they come out and get wicked performance. I think that you will be better off running 2 gigs of ram in dual channel mode over 3 gigs single, because dual channel is faster plus I can almost say for sure you will not use all 3 gigs of ram.

For a s939 board, the MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM would be a very good choice for price / performance
How can you "pop" a dual core cpu into a single 939 socket spot?

plus Intels cost like twice as much and run very hot
Although I believe the price, I've come to notice AMD's run hotter than Intels, not the other way around.

I think that you will be better off running 2 gigs of ram in dual channel mode over 3 gigs single, because dual channel is faster plus I can almost say for sure you will not use all 3 gigs of ram.
More than likely even 2gb of RAM will never be used in his system so he could be fine with 1gb of high performance RAM unless he just REALLY wants that RAM, but overall Dual Channel doesn't have enough performance increase to constitute another 1gb of RAM, supposing he could use up all the RAM, 3gb single channel would be able to run better than 2gb Dual Channel simply because there's so much more to run off of, and most any article you read regarding dual channel will tell you there's minimal performance increases with DC

They stated that yes, AMDs future dual core CPUs will be run on existing socket 939 mobos
This doesn't surprise me, as the Socket 939 is the board they chose to keep updating so it wouldn't surprise me one bit for them to do this, but yeah I would also like to see a link just for officiality reasons

On almost all AMD chips (new and old) they will run hotter than there "at the time" competing Intel design (there are a few acceptions). of course comparing with same heatsink, fans, voltage, air temp...all that.

All of the new Athlon 64s run cooler than the new Intel P4s. The Prescotts run extremely hot, and the new winchesters run even cooler than the newcastles. As for a link about the dual core CPUs, I did not get the information from an official site, It was a site reviewing an Nforce 3 s939 mobo and the reviewer stated that AMD told them that dual core will run on nforce 3 and 4 motherboards.

WOW.
Some good posts and some dumb ones. How awesome is that.

1st thing 1st. Good news, I"m not going with 3 gigs of ram. I'm going with 4. Have a nice day, marry Christmas, happy birthday.

I'm going with this cpu
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939

and this mother board
MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

For those people that think my mother needs some hard core video card. Put your brains together and let me know what is the very best video card I can get from newegg.com for $200 after tax. And I'll think about it.

As for sound. Someone said I shouldn't use on board sound. The on board sound on this board looks freaken awesome. But if useing this onboard sound is going to back fire on me then let me know. I'm still not sure what I"m doing for sound.

I know all of this is mega over kill. But if you were making a computer for a 48 year old lady who was your mother who told you that she doesn't think she will buy another computer again in her life... how over the top would you make it?

yeah I know, she says she won't buy another computer, but how likely is that? I know she will at lest upgrade a few parts before she pases away some day. And her last computer she has had for 4-5 years.

id say stick with onboard sound, i dont know why anything would conflict on this... and as for the socket 939 supporting dual-core i read it in a news release off tomshardware before, so if you want official sites google it, and as for you r 4 gigs of ram that is pointless... and i would say stick with the video card you have, she will never need more if she isnt a gamer. and dont waste your moms money on 4 gigs of RAM, send the extra cash to me and i will tell you how great you are :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom