My Infamous Fan Case Mod! (Large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
k nubius tried stacking the fans like you said i have two on the side of my case blowing in straight at the cpu so i stacked them both,i cant beleive ive got a 5c drop just by doin this mod the airflow difference its much better you can feel the difference, but it made me think if you can get such a difference by doing this what about stacking the actual cpu fan this has got to be good idea what you think

That looks pretty cool dude. What are your temps?
If I just leave the computer alone with the fans on full blast, the temps will drop to 18-20C, but that's when it's doing absolutely NOTHING, when I start to go do stuff it'll be at 30C and at complete full load it hits 45C I think is about it's max...but mind you I'm running 2.7GHz at 2.05Vcore so high temperatures are abound and that's pretty damn good full load temp considering it's air cooled and most articles I read said you wouldnt be able to achieve 2.7 without water :p

what about stacking the actual cpu fan this has got to be good idea what you think

I've already done it :p a while back actually...The coolermast jet thats on the side of my case still had it's heatsink so I put that on my secondary computer with some AS5...now for the fans...the stock 2400+ XP heatsink fan is a 60mm counter clockwise spinning fan....that fan fits snug in the square inside the screwholes for the jet...ontop of that I placed an 80mm clockwise spinning fan (seperated by about half an inch otherwise you'd hear a REALLY annoying whine). These combined produce quite good airflow and again I noticed about a 7C Degree drop compared to if I had solely that small fan on it. Mind you that with fans spinning in opposite directions, but blowing air the same way...it makes basically a compressor...so the air between the two fans becomes compressed and is forced out even harder than before through the bottom 60mm fan..... if you buy two 80mm fans they will both spin the same way so although you'll get an air increase it won't be as powerful as two fans that blow air the same way yet spin in different directions. If I had a digital camera I'd get a picture of it because right now I actually got it triple stacked :p

counterclockwise 60mm with clockwise spinning 80mm on top and another 80mm fan ontop of that one. Haven't started up that computer though because I had to takes it's RAM since my main computers 512mb stick took a dump.

wow nubius, that is an awesome looking mod, can't wait to get stuck into mine now :D so whats the next upgrade going to be? more ram seeing as your 512 stick died?

You should get some pics of the finished thing up and running
Yeah I know =/ I had limited film though only like 7 pictures cause my dad had used up most of it. We aren't a picture family so we hardly ever have film and get it developed and also no digital camera =/ Otherwise I woulda posted one of it running so you guys can see the red coming out of the jet engine and my fan controller lights :D

wow nubius, that is an awesome looking mod, can't wait to get stuck into mine now so whats the next upgrade going to be? more ram seeing as your 512 stick died?

Yes kingston already approved my RMA so I'm sending back the dead stick. Then I think I'm going to sell it and then hold out for getting a 1gb kit of Corsair XMS Series RAM because this 2.5-3-3-7 (2T) PC2700 has let me get 2.7GHz on this OC...with that kingstong value ram at 3-3-3-8 it won't do it so I figure I'll wait for the XMS good stuff...I had a 512mb stick on the way but cancelled that order...I think I'll live with this 256 until I can get that XMS Series....let me know if you know anyone who will want a 512mb stick of kingstong value ram...I'll sell it at $65 cause it'll be a brand new replaced stick and it cost me $80 and that's before taxes and shipping. I'll also ship the thing.

BTW: Raekwon what kind of mod do you have planned?

EDIT: That's crazy Raekwon I just noticed at your soon to be system and that's exactly what I have minus the SATA drives, the ATI card and the XMS for now but I will be getting that :p It'll be a while before I upgrade my graphics card cause the FX 5700 works pretty good and I just got it last april so I gotta wait until I get that good RAM until I can have a good stable system...then next thing...bam video card....although I wanted a TV tuner for my secondary computer in my room that I built from spare parts, I would have TV, radio, all my MP3's and videos from my computer put out through my TV and stereo system :p so thats an idea too.

Let me know if you need any help or tips overclocking that chip Raekwon because I read a LOT to find out whats the best to achieve the best performance and oc'ability out of it ;)

thanks for the massive reply :D

the mod i have planned isn't that big, i just have to figure out some stuff... i origionally planned to do a fan mod buying 4 120mm fans and cutting 2 holes in the top and bottom for them, but then i realised that i would only be able to fit one in the top without having to cut a bit out of the top 5.25" drive bay - i think thats what ill end up doing. i like the idea of stacking fans - i might do that for my cpu which will have a thermalright XP-97 on top of it, although i would have to figure out how to stack them - it would be a bit akward because of the way the fan is connected to the heatink, maybe ill have to make new wires from the HS to the fan? oh well i would have to do that anyway because i'm going to put a 120mm on it :) then if i stack - 2 :D. As you may have guessed i love my 120's :D

but all this is without mentioning the 2 120's the case comes with standard, (i think i might get the thermaltake tsunami - unless someone can direct me to a case that i haven't seen yet and like more than the tsunami :) ) so.... all those fans.... :D i know for sure that 4 of them will be 120mm and the others might have to be 92 or even 80mm... but this is all in the future, some time early next year i hope to have all this done :)

any help with the overclocking when i get it would be a great idea, thanks for your support nubius - even before i have it all :D

i like the idea of stacking fans - i might do that for my cpu which will have a thermalright XP-97 on top of it, although i would have to figure out how to stack them -
It'd be easy it you were just stacking 2 120's on top of your processor if that is your goal. Just put it on the Heatsink then get short screws with nuts to connect the bottom of the top 120mm to the top of the bottom 120mm get what I mean? Yeah I had to watch out in the top of my case and don't think I would have been able to put two 120mm's up there because there is a crossbar a little past halfway down the case that I obviously didn't want to saw through :p

Overall your case sounds like it'll be pretty cool and I hope you post pics quicker than it took me to do mine :p In the future I'm just going to get one of the cases that has a 120mm in the front and a 120mm in the Back and then figure out some other stuff for it. But I'm also considering reversing my two stacked rear exhaust and using a duct system strait to the CPU Fan so it'd be air straight from the outside to the CPU :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom