My Infamous Fan Case Mod! (Large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Well here it is folks...I finally got around to getting the pictures scanned in and photoshopped to point everything out. I have a crappy camera but still most of the shots came out good. You'll notice there's never a shot of one side of my case...that's because that side is an acrylic window with a hole in the middle. In the shot that shows the computer completely modded with all fans attached...you can barely see the little blower on the left hand side...that's where I placed the blower is on the acrylic window...cools my PCI and AGP devices nicely :) I'm also thinking of taking the side intake 80mm and making it exhaust to have the HD's warm air be circulated immediately out. Well here's the photos and answers to all the people who've asked 'How the hell can you have those cool temps on just air!?!' ......now you know :D

casemodsteps.jpg

Finished product!.....kinda :p

mainshoot.jpg

how does the two front fans work isnt there a plastic cover that goes over there, its a good idea to have fans for the backside of the mobo i never thought of that may try it,also the stacked fans does having them like this create more airflow as i have two on the back of mine but not stacked,looks very nice tho nubius

that looks awesome brother. how did you manage to cut perfect circles on the top of the case? and for the stacked fans...do you have 2 fans on top of each other?

great job.

how does the two front fans work isnt there a plastic cover that goes over there
What do you mean? The case is wide enough that it has a spot for two fans behind the front panel. I simply drilled holes in the front panel to get better airflow for those fans. They blow over the hard drives into the system. That's why I want to make that side 80mm an exhaust so air goes in the front, over the HD's then right out the side so none of the warm air from the HD's is blown into the system. Yes the fans are stacked one right ontop of the other. I seem to notice much better airflow off the processor as my idle temp went from 33C to 26C with fans half running and 20C if they are all on full blast, possibly lower cause it's cold in here lol, but yes you will notice a difference if you put one straight on the other, if anything would cout it hurt trying eh?

how did you manage to cut perfect circles on the top of the case?
Well I sugget getting a Dremel if you can as my friend and I used a jigsaw and it's loud as hell not to mention more time consuming. His step-dad works in Cad all the time and has precise measurement equipment like $150 set of calipers. All you gotta do is take a nail and put it through where your screws would be then tap the nail on the head to put an indent in the case for where are you screws will be. Then you just mark an X between the 4 corners and you know your middle...then use a compass to draw a nice perfect circle...Drill a starter hole in the middle of the circle and start there and drill around until you've met up with your drawn circle then finish it off. This is of course with a jigsaw, with a dremel you won't need to cut that center hole.

EDIT: Oh yeah normally that coolermaster jet (the one with the speed knob on the side) has a flashing white LED, but I obviously didn't want that so I snipped the wires leading to it and problem solved :D I did leave the red glow that it makes from the back though. All the fans in my case minus the PSU are controlled Via my Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller :D

holy shit nubius, that's a sick mod dude.. you make me want to do that so bad, but probably with stock case fans. Great images!

what exactly did you use, fan-wise? what controller exactly did you use, and how much did all this cost...? whats the biggest fan i can buy that will run on 3-pin?

Maybe he actualy turns his computer off?
We have a winner folks! lol yes people as unbelievable as it sounds I do turn my computer off at night. Not only that, but I don't sleep in the same room as my main computer because it's mainly my 'business' computer but I use it for personal use obviously too.

what exactly did you use, fan-wise? what controller exactly did you use, and how much did all this cost...? whats the biggest fan i can buy that will run on 3-pin?

If you look at my second reply at the bottom I say what kind of fan Controller I'm using. A Sunbeam Rheobus and I couldn't be happier. It controls ALL of them no problem. The CPU's Tornado is on channel 1. The two fans (120mm and 80mm) on top of the case are on channel 2. The 3 fans for the HD's, (2 front 1 side 80mm) are on channel 3 and the two stacked rear exhaust 80mm's are on channel 4. PSU's can't be controlled. All of those fans are just generic fans except for the Tornado. One of the stacked ones has an LED in it...this fan came with the case..the fan I stacked on top of it I spliced the wire into the wire that the LED Fan gets it's power from so essentially they run off the same power line...that fan came from an old PSU.....after I had stacked those fans I went crazy and did this mod. All other fans are just generic ones ordered from SVC except the coolermaster jet which is actually a heatsink and fan :p the heatsink is in my secondary computer but I have a much better heatsink in here now so used the jet fan for my mod. You can also buy those blower fans seperately at SVC hence that's what I did by adding that second clear blower on the left.

This all cost about $100 I laid down strictly on supplies I need for cooling.

That cost included getting the SLK-900A, the Coolermaster Clear Blower (already had the jet), 4 80mm fans, 1 120mm fan, the Sunbeam Rheobus Fan Controller, a crap load of 3pin extensions, 3pin to 4pin convertors and vice versa. Had also bought Ram Heatspreaders at that time which was in the $100, a couple grills, and a 'VGA CHIPST COOLER IN ONE!" which has a small VGA Fan that was PERFECT for my secondary computers GF2 card :p as it had NO heatsink at all prior so having that little fan is nice. Then I took the remaining little heatsinks usually for your NB and SB and put those on my current graphics card..on the memory....Oh and about $10 for the lapping kit I used to lap the heatsink.

As long as your PSU can handle the wattage and the +12v the fan needs to run you can have any fan running off a 3pin. Like I said. All my fans are controlled by the sunbeam...one channel has multiple fans on it besides the CPU and it runs them perfectly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can see in the picture that I cut out the back grill that's basically 'built' into your case. This reduces the noise that a fan makes muchless two fans stacked on one another. This way you won't hear as much of a whine and it basically becomes non-existant. The Tornado is the most predominate sound in the case...next are those two stacked fans or the coolermaster jet...both are pretty loud...the other blower actually isn't as loud as the jet. The 120mm and 80mm on top wind up when the computer first starts, but if you keep their speed halfway you don't hear those either ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom