My i7 trials, with a lot of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok I give totally up on this whole situation. Please someone help me out here.

In the past I have set up my i7 with stock cooling/parts with my new RAM and HDD and all that, and it keeps getting sluggish, it's bad when you have Firefox open to a simple Flash game, then try to go to Start- rightclick my computer to view the details, and it Freezes up. No joke. Windows Xp Pro SP3, so it's not like I am trying to run on really old OS or anything...

Here's the plan. Windows 7 RC, 64bit. Burning the ISO soon.

What I want is to make sure I download all my drivers prior to formatting, and get suggestions on how to format the 1 TB harddrive so it helps performance.

By ALL my drivers, I mean everything, I don't want any chance that my DVD driver or something isn't "up to date" and won't read/burn properly (which just happened, it won't format a DVD RW, so I had to download a program to do it)

The only real reason I am formatting is because it's gotten sluggish and feels more like my P4 rig every day. I was trying to hold out until I got my new GPU- this way I could format and not have any "old tech" data anywhere deeply hidden on the drive, but it can't wait... I need performance, nowz.

Help me Techie Forumi, you are my only hope.

I know Windows 7 RC isn't the best thing to "jump to" since it is still beta-ish and all that, and not everyone is on it that could help me, but I don't have the money for a 64bit OS right now, so I gotta play it free- and legal.

First up: Driver Check list, someone with a lot more experience then me on this, please list common drives I should get BEFORE destroying the data on my drive.

Secondly: Formatting the 1 TB hard drive. It is a seagate barricuda (yes the 7200.11 version) It is NOT on the list of having that power down - no longer start - list however. I checked. I can check again if it will satisfy you.

Ideally- OS drive, Game/Graphics Drive, Protection/Program drive (antivirus, anti malware, etc as well as chats like YIM) and a Download Drive (for fresh downloads only)

Thirdly: Installing shouldn't be too hard on me.. I know how to burn ISO and put them in and follow screen instructions.. I did Beta Windows 7...

Lastly: Tweakage. Turning off junky programs, disabling things I will never use (like printer... I don't own one.. the fact spoolsv.exe is running on XP completely ticks me off)

After stability is factored, and RAM timings and speeds are checked (to ensure all 6GB are running smoothly) Then I will install games and such...

So .. yeah.. help where you can. I am burning the ISO now, it'll be a little bit before I get started, I am going to try to round up Drivers on my own (the CD's things came with.. even if they are out dated)

**EDIT***
Intel Core i7 920 (@ 2.67GHz)

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Radeon x700 GPU

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner

Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe (so X58)

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers

Generic old Keyboard (Micro innovations)
Generic Laser mouse (microsoft)
2.1 Creative speakers.

The CD that came with the motherboard.. do I really need all that extra program junk on there? seems like it's just Corperate BS bogging down systems.

You need to list all of your hardware individually.
For example, what motherboard do you have? Manufacturer, Model#
You have ram so we need the same info plus the recommended latency settings.
Do this for everything you can.

Without this info it's hard to tell you what you need to do.

XP actually is an old OS ;). It's in extended support from M$ right now; its nearing 7 years old now.

Drivers:
Motherboard (chipset etc)
GPU
Sound card (if a separate card and not onboard)
Netword card (if a separate card and not onboard)
DVD drive firmware updates
Any other peripherals you may have (mouse, keyboard, PCI cards, USB add-ons, etc)

As for formatting... I like to use a GParted LiveCD because its nice and fast.

Oh duh. sorry. totally had a n00b moment.
Intel Core i7 920 (@ 2.67GHz)

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Radeon x700 GPU

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner

Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe (so X58)

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers

Generic old Keyboard (Micro innovations)
Generic Laser mouse (microsoft)
2.1 Creative speakers.

The CD that came with the motherboard.. do I really need all that extra program junk on there? seems like it's just Corperate BS bogging down systems.

I'm going to have to say that your video card, Radeon X700, is bottlenecking your system and it's probably the cause of all of your problems.

It seems like there's a saying. Your only as strong as your weakest link.

Well I know that but it was running fine for... I dont know.. 2 months, then all the sudden it has troubles doing the simple tasks ... like flash games and system specs.... I plan to get a 4890 beast in there with a new Case.. but that's... well after I get my car tagged and legalized and after my ebay sales finalize... so I have money... then shipping time...

I could skip the case if you can think of ways to keep the whole system properly cooled until I can get the money together for it.. but I planned to buy case next and GPU last.

(this is the GPU I planned to get: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards)

Should I get a second SATA HDD to hold my OS on?

When I Installed Windows 7 everything expect my wifi card worked out of the box and it was the only thing i had to install drivers for.

I would install 7, then install any required drivers from the manufacturers website or the cd's that came with the part. You should be able to format you hard drive during the Windows 7 installation process. The drivers 7 uses by default should be fine but it never hurts to use the newest versions.

I am on Windows 7 now on it, went and formmated, just as 1 big drive though so I may need to redo later.... or if some program allows you to partition farther I can do that.

Things appear much smoother, just running on fresh Windows and no drivers so far. Going to check direct X and all that stuff now too (flash, shockwave, etc.)

Really for a reformat the only drivers you need to have on hand are your chipset and lan drivers.

Get those installed and go online to get the rest.

I have the p6t deluxe v2 and asus already has windows7 64bit drivers for it. I would assume the same for the vanilla p6t.

If not grab the vista 64bit drivers and you are good to go.

Ok I looked and for p6t only vista drivers.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

Are you a student because if you are you could get a free and legal version of server 2008.

Should I chose "other" for OS since Windows 7 is not listed? or try to default to Windows Vista 64 bit?

Also - anything I can use to partition my large C: into some sub drives? I wasn't sure how much space 7 RC would take up, so I just left it 1 big TB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom